Author Topic: vawt question  (Read 1061 times)

cold comfort

vawt question
« on: May 31, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
 I live in northern Alabama here we have never dealt with wind power and wind mills

about a month ago a couple of guys contacted our machine shop about a new magnetic levitating turbine vawt, I was very skeptical but the owner decided to buy into it,upon reviewing the initial plans (I am untrained in aerodynamics) I noticed the 4 vertical blades made from 1/8 alum were in the shape of +,I brought up the fact of drag on the system ,wind would be hitting the turning blade into the wind as well as away.

I was told a lot of mumble jumble ,Pi=delta=lift etc and that this system is far advanced, at which point the owner agreed with them (as if he knew)so I went about my business

the next day I noticed the 4 blades were now redrawn at a 30 degree to reduce drag

I feel strongly that these guys are at least ignorant of wind power or at worst it is a con or scam

one other red flag why come to Alabama from Washington state to build this thing he says he can sell 10000 units a year after development? and has buyers out west.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:24:15 PM by (unknown) »