Author Topic: Now why didn't I think of that..  (Read 1179 times)

aususer

Now why didn't I think of that..
« on: July 02, 2009, 07:04:17 AM »
Call me flamebait... but is this not just so obvious and logical?

I just saw this webpage http://www.earthtronics.com/honeywell.aspx

and got me thinking..

move the magnets to the ends of the blades and put the stators OUTSIDE the blades TSR would n't be a problem - smaller, multiple stators would solve that..

good wind to blade pickup = low speed operation.. easy to balance - easy to stop = less dangerous..

from what I deduce from teh video it appears that multiple, short blades have magnets installed on their tips.

A cowling is built around the diameter of the rotor (and you could probably apply the venturii effect for added benifit?).

In the cowling is the stator windings...

The magnets in the end of the blades pass the stator winding.. flux cuts windings, EMF generated, electrons move = power!

put the whole thing on a rotating mast.. turn the whole mast out of the wind to furl.

I see problems with magnets flinging off the ends (inertia) - Debris passing through the turbine and breaking blades; windings and wiring..

but gee.. it does get the grey matter working!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 07:04:17 AM by (unknown) »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Re: Now why didn't I think of that..
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 02:03:45 AM »
I crunched the numbers and understand why they don't show a power curve vs. windspeed. Even at 1500 KWH a year they would need 170 Watts continuous 24 hours a day for a year. 6' diameter won't get it with an average 10 MPH wind say nothing of less as they proclaim. Another flash in the pan sell some and fade away marketing scheme for the mount it on your house, power your house plan. I'll repeat it again as will others, there is only so much power available for a given windspeed and swept area. Let's turn the machine inside out, yep that will catch more fish. Unreal,  Dave B.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:03:45 AM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Now why didn't I think of that..
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:33:48 AM »
Nothing new. Some German firm came up with that idea on quite a large scale many years ago. When you try it on a finite sized machine it has many problems and I am not surprised it didn't get very far.

It may be possible to do it on small machines but even then there are awkward problems.

I expect we shall see a patent for the wheel sooner or later.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:33:48 AM by Flux »