Author Topic: Wind Turbine  (Read 1613 times)

countblake

Wind Turbine
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
I would like to set out some points about the future collection of energy from the roof tops of residential  and commercial dwellings.

Refer to the sketch drawing of proposal.

Presuming the house is built of masonry brickwork or block work this is a good starting point. Construction of a Ring beam frame that ties the principal walls together using steel. Mounting studs are welded to the frame to support the tower system. Vibration damper is installed by applying rubber bushes to the mounting studs. The cradle that supports the tower is sitting upon the rubber bushes required to be at least 100mm in diameter & 50mm thick. The tower is a single tube rising from the cradle with tie sprung steel cables at 45 Deg to base. The height of the tower depends upon what the exposure is to high wind speeds but lets say at least 10'. The impeller would be horizontally mounted and up to 20' in diameter 5' depth with a drive shaft that extends down through the tower to the generating room beneath the roof area. A flexible drive coupling would be essential as also a brake disk arrangement fail safe before the generator and mounted vertically without any gears whatsoever. The generator is the multi-pole governor design that delivers maximum power at very low revolutions'. The greater the wind speed the higher the power output. Designed to withstand wind speeds of 150 miles per hour. Engineer's calculations would be based upon the maximum wind speed acting upon the tower with impeller in rotation and driving the generator. The bending moment of the tower requires calculations. The cradle and all mounting points require calculations. The design should have a multiplication safety factor of 3 times maximum loadings. The main tie frame that connects to the building itself would require a dead weight equal to three times the maximum load placed upon it.

I have built a prototype with success and believe in the concept of large is beautiful, quite and very generous in output.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:17:43 PM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: Wind Turbine
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:25:04 PM »
What sketch?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:25:04 PM by jimjjnn »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:22:03 PM »
I was wondering that myself.

I was also wondering how "The generator is the multi-pole governor design that delivers maximum power at very low revolutions'. The greater the wind speed the higher the power output" can be true at the same time.

And how much swept area vibrating stress a house built of masonry brickwork or block work can sustain from a 10' min higher tower in 200+MPH wind.

No details, photos, or numbers from the prototype make it sound like another free spinning VAWT?

G-

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:22:03 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

halfcrazy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:03:39 PM »
Yep if you mount the turbine on the roof you save the costs of a tower and I also recommend mounting the solar panels inside the garage that way they dont get damaged from hail.

actually i like being a smart a$$ but really we need to get people to realize we need towers with wind turbines. They need to be in the air above all obstructions and many manufacturer's just don't seem to care.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:03:39 PM by halfcrazy »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:04:48 PM »
yeah but towers are ugly.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:04:48 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF