Author Topic: guy 'guy'dlines  (Read 952 times)

basicbill

guy 'guy'dlines
« on: June 14, 2004, 11:34:40 AM »
Hi,

I have a 30 foot tall, telescope constructed pipe mast. 15 feet of 3" with a 2 foot adapter (2 1/2" sleeve) then another 13 feet of 2". All pipe is schedule 40. The mast is professionally welded and I am confident that the joints will be secure. My request is for some information on guying the mast. Originally I hadn't even considered it, but  my reading on this site suggests that guying might be necessary. I even googled for information but there doesn't seem to be much as far as standards.

Anyone on the group recommend an info package on the subject?

Thanks

Bill W.

btw, these are the last steps before erecting my windgen.....hopefully next weekend! Pics to follow.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 11:34:40 AM by (unknown) »

picmacmillan

Re: guy 'guy'dlines
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 12:50:44 PM »
hello.......i have been told to put a guy wire every ten feet of height....and at 120 degrees around the pole....therefore 3 wires at every ten feet....i am told this will stop the oscillating of the pipe and you won't have a problem with aresonating pole......i have an engineering background and could probably give you more certain advice if needed, but for the most part, i don't think that it's necessary.......i guess we could get technical and say that the moment of inertia for a triangle is 1/3rd from the biggest side......maybe someone else can give some better insight but generally speaking all who have used the pipe you have used seem to be doing o.k......there are lots of other alternatives, but seeings you already have the pipe.....hoist er away!...take care....pickster
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 12:50:44 PM by picmacmillan »

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 01:18:35 PM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 01:18:35 PM by kurt »

iFred

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 12:55:34 AM »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 12:55:34 AM by iFred »