Author Topic: Building first turbine...  (Read 1226 times)

digidocs

Building first turbine...
« on: June 20, 2004, 02:23:46 PM »
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy the parts to build my first turbine.  My goal for this project is to get something simple working as a proof of concept.  I'd like to spend <$200 but I'm not afraid to do a lot of work myself.  I have access to metal working tools, etc.  

That said, my current concept is a 3 or 4 Jerry blade design spinning a tape drive motor or modified induction motor.  I'm not quite sure what to use for a yaw bearing but I'm sure there are some proven methods out there.

A few things I'm not sure about:

Motors--- I see AMETEK 50V and 99V tape motors, 2HP 130V permament magnet DC tredmill motors and modified induction motors.  If I go the DC route what voltage motor do I want (12V/24V batteries)?  What factors suggest the choice of an induction motor?

3 vs. 4 blades and hubs--- I live in a N. Texas which is, I think, a realitively light wind area.  What goes into the decision of whether to use 3 or 4 blades?  I seen some references to Jerry blades performing best in bladed arrangements.  While were're on the same topic, I've seen some mention of using a hub designed for air conditioner condensers.  This specific hub was 3 blades and approximately 27 degrees pitch.  I seem to have forgotten the distributor and part #.  If someone can remember it I'd appreciate it.  Other than that, with the rest of my setup and wind conditions, do you think a 3 blade 27 degree hub or a 4 blade 23 degree blade hub will perform better?

Finally what performance levels should I be expecting with the above?

Sorry for the long post, I'm mostly just looking for a little advice to make sure I have my head on straight...

David Carr

« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 02:23:46 PM by (unknown) »

MelTx

Re: Building first turbine...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 12:54:28 PM »

Hey Digidocks,....Et Al

I live in n.c. texas in the F.W. area and your right,we dont get a lot of wind,but who cares this wind-genning is fun.The easiest way to get started is use something that works,that way you have a better chance at sucess.Unless you live in the panhandle area, you will need a tall tower to fly some of the larger gennies .

Study some of the posts that Hiker sent in about his Minnie Genny.I(franknbuger) also have posted several comments and stories about the electric motor route.The best start off project I think is use a ceiling fan motor,the ones that are about 4 OR 5" long and about 6" in diameter,seem to work best.You can get about 35 to 60 open volts out of them.After the battery's pull them down they are just about right. Try to find the kind of motor that has ball-bearings, not bushings,they roll easier,and start quicker.If you want email me. twelve142000 at yahoo.com.

I hope this might help.       Franknbuger

« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 12:54:28 PM by MelTx »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 11:15:30 PM »
Hi David

The supplier is Johnstone Supply. Part #s for the complete heatpump fan asembly,s to follow.

4 blade 23% W88-972 $20.84 each. 3 blade 23% 60-7172-01 These are special oder only from Johnstone.

Use 23% on both 3 and 4 blade. 27% will stall to soon causing rpm restrictions.

You'll also need a shaft to hub adaptor. They come in 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4" sizes.

The 4 blade would be best in the low wind area. These fan blades are the source for the hubs. The aluminum blades that you'll remove are cut down and make the aluminum support for the plastic blades.

They Mike mods are the best preformers.

PM motors are the easyest to turn into a wind genny but converted ac motors will have higher power output.

I prefur the 1 hp garbage disposal motor. It starts charging at 5 mph with the 4 blade and tops out at 45 mph around 1200 watts.

I gues you'll never see that kinda wind. But these machinse make usable power at 10 to 20 mph. Just take them up high.

I use a big bearing for a yaw system. It will hunt and turn with just a wisper of wind.

Also you'll not likely need a furlling system in your low wind area. I don't use one on  mine and they've survived 68 mph just fine.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 11:15:30 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 11:20:34 PM »
PS. The 1/2" shaft to hub adaptor part # W69-123 $4.89 ea. 5/8" # W69-124 $6.05 ea. 3/4" # W69-125 $6.80 ea. These are Johnstone part #s.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 11:20:34 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 10:54:06 PM »
Here are some yaw bearing pics. JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:54:06 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 10:57:12 PM »
I'll try the pics here?

If this dosen't work I give up?  JK TAS Jerry