Author Topic: grid tie wind  (Read 931 times)

windrules

grid tie wind
« on: June 29, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »
Just wanted to know has anyone out there grid tied their home built wind genny.I have looked at grid tied inverters and they all seem to be set up for solar and most seem to have a cut in voltage around 70 volts here in Australia,which I don't see as a problem. The problem I can see is if it is blowing a gale and the grid fails how do you stop the genny from overspeed,and can anyone see anyother problems in doing so.I have a friend who thinks that we should build a rather large axial flux and feed it into grid and this is the only safe way I can think to do it.

Regards,

Mos
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 06:09:00 PM by (unknown) »

BT Humble

Re: grid tie wind
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 07:02:05 PM »
There was an excellent article in issue 100 of Home Power magazine on this topic.  Int hat case they were using an African Windpower AWP 3.6 turbine (which is basically one of Hugh's axial-flux designs) coupled to an SMA Windyboy grid-tied inverter.

You might be able to get a back issue from http://www.homepower.com, or I can e-mail you the text of the article if you like.

BTH

« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 07:02:05 PM by BT Humble »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 06:00:04 AM »
Go to Homepowers site, register, and you can download the whole issue if you desire all free nice ppl.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 06:00:04 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

windrules

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »
Thanks guys, have read HP article and I think I need more info the awp control box is probably the magic bit that I would need to somehow make up to stop overspeed in an inverter shutdown.I will do a further post some time to get more ideas on how to create this box.

regards,

Mos
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 10:31:02 PM by windrules »