Author Topic: Wind Turbine Conference  (Read 2029 times)

iFred

Wind Turbine Conference
« on: July 18, 2004, 11:04:55 PM »
Wind Turbine Conference

Meeting of the minds

I would like to suggest a meeting be set up somewhere either in America or Canada where we can all meet for a couple days each year for a conference discussing wind turbine technology primarily. A date and a place where we can meet each other and talk.

The price for this should be kept low in order to allow all that are interested in joining to attend. The cost should include lodging and travel. A bus from either side could be rented from a meeting place to the destination in order to reduce costs and would also be a fun ride.

The idea is a meeting of the minds. I see also no reason why other power could not also be discussed at the same time. But I wait to see what you have to say on this. Should it be just wind or other power as well.

If your interested in this conference could I suggest a show of hands to get a figure on how many people and what's involved? Please indicate your region in Canada or US so we can figure out how the transportation would be handled.

I await to hear your replies and suggestions to this event and any comments you wish to share.

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Fred

« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 11:04:55 PM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: Wind Turbine Conference
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 04:18:20 AM »

What about a install of sorts maybe a farm or remote located home or business or the like that has money to spend on off grid juice or limiting consumption . We all deciend

on the place for a week a n monster up a system .
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 04:18:20 AM by tecker »

zubbly

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 09:11:55 AM »
hello iFred!

You are suggesting what i have wanted to see for some time now.

Using a bus to get to the meeting may be more trouble than it is worth. ( just everyone is so spread out that i think it would be just as easy to go to the meeting directly)

I think planning 1 year ahead of time would give people a good chance to make arrangements for an upcoming event like this. Some area with close by lodging with camping and RV sites would probably work well.

I would like to add that some of us could bring a unit or two to demonstrate our methods and ideas to share with others. Almost something like a table top show, including short seminars to explain in a little more detail.

Perhaps someone that has been involved in similar arrangements could save a lot of time and effort in suggesting how to plan out an event like this.

zubbly

« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 09:11:55 AM by zubbly »

truman

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 02:45:26 PM »
You guys have me all excited now! lets not let this just fade away this is a very good idea. I don't know how much help I could be but I will help if I can.  Not only would this be educational but it would be nice to meet you guys.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 02:45:26 PM by truman »

drdongle

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 05:00:06 PM »
Why not have several conferances, a western N.A., a middle N.A., and an eastern N.A.

Then many of us don't have to travil so far and some might be able to make more than one.

Carpe Vigor

Dr.D

« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 05:00:06 PM by drdongle »

picmacmillan

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 07:55:42 PM »
hi fred......to have a get together would be a blast...if anyone would like to use my place in kirkland lake area....it would be o.k. with me.....lots of room for camping etc.great fishing boating and hunting.......bring in a few guitar players and a washtub and bam! we are set......let me know what you think...and by the way thanks again for all your help with my genny.......i will have some photo's shortly and some statistics on what power i will pull....thanks fred.....pickster aka randy...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 07:55:42 PM by picmacmillan »

iFred

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 10:35:31 PM »
I remember going to small ham fests in the states from time to time, pretty much they where held in schools. The big one was in Dayton, Ohio and that was Hugh. It was a blast to meet with all the hamsters and pickup some cool parts and accessories. I was a licensed ham at the time which was a blast. Having smaller get together is nice too and a little less stressful and you can talk one on one.

I think what needs to be done is start slowly creating these smaller events that will eventually work up to something bigger. Aafter seeing how many people posted as opposed to reading it, it's still a bit confusing. I think the internet has changed the platform. Communication without contact leaves a void feeling still. Expressions and feelings cannot be animated or reproduced digitally and sent through a wire with the same feeling that originally produced it. That said the need for meeting a communication. In today's rapid moving world of technology the one thing I can promise everyone that reads this is that technology cannot and will never replace human contact. Technology is form of primitive communication at best and will always be.

That said, I say to you, that it's up to everyone out their to get off the duffs and create that which has never been created before, to invent and stimulate and to communicate with each other which includes the creation of small alternative power fests everywhere. To educate those that don't get it, or understand what it's about. And its hard to do that with just a computer. Like I said "primitive"...

I was told by a friend of mine recently "i was on to something" when I helped my friends son build a dual rotor wind generator for a science fair project. Needless to say the school was packed and the focus was on that generator. The son walked away with all the 9 gold metals the school had against all odds and some very cool projects (about 17 or so of them), I was later informed (by another freind) that the reason for the success was because we informed the public that alternative power was not just a dream but was becoming a reality, you could call this a " Paradigm shift in thought", universally everyone understood this could be done, but without face to face meeting people in the school and seeing their faces light up, seeing the result, it would not have happened. The entire school and the kids could not get enough of making a small (110v) light lightup. Go figure because I would'nt have.

I salute all those that do this kind of work. But we can do more and should. It is important, just look at what Hugh has pulled off in the last 5 years in informing the public!! Took 25 years to get where he is now.. It is why we are here now.

63 Scoop users have viewed this posting

only 5 posted.. I THANK YOU GUYS MOST!

Lets do it!!!!!

Randy, I got guitar, lets go... Who wants to come along for some fun??

To everyone else that didn't post, lets hear what you have to say!! Lets get the ball rolling, we need your good ideas and comments.

This is why it's importent!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 10:35:31 PM by iFred »

witapple

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 11:38:38 PM »
I would sure keep this as something on the top of my "to do" list. I went to Hugh Piggot's "Windmill Workshop" a couple years back and it is still right near the top of one of the most fun things I have ever done. There was just something about everyone thinking and asking questions and sharing things that made every moment exciting. I got sick for a day and a half and made myself return when i could barely stand up again just cuz I didnt want to miss anything!

Do to what happens on my farm I could not attenhd the months of march thru may and mid september thru mid october.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 11:38:38 PM by witapple »

gibsonfvse

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 12:37:03 AM »
Wow

Kudos to your son, iFred!  And hopefully Hugh Piggott will read this; maybe he has some suggestions or thoughts as I'm sure he's familiar with conferences.  I'm currently in Massachusetts of the USA finishing up schooling; I don't know where I'll be by this time next year.  However, because all of us are so spread out, it might be perhaps a bit early to think of locations.  I -will- say this: if we are serious about this, maybe it would be good to discuss a format and other ideas, like a call for presentations and papers.  For right now, though, it's good to talk about and think about ideas like this.  You are right: nothing replaces interactions between people in the same physical space, and nothing ever will.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 12:37:03 AM by gibsonfvse »

elvin1949

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 01:12:56 AM »
hi fred

this is needed
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 01:12:56 AM by elvin1949 »

elvin1949

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 01:38:24 AM »
hi fred

sorry about the double post 50 letter limit

thing.

this is needed. there are a lot of people out there

who are like me [ not good at putting thought's on paper ] who have a lot of good thought's and idea's to share.

i am located in west central louisiana 70 mile's morth of the gulf-of-mexico.

i do not drive [ i can't see feeding 70 horse's

to do what a bicycle will do 'it's only 25 mile's to town ]. will travel to a meeting of the mind's.

keep talking this up.

later

elvin
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 01:38:24 AM by elvin1949 »

RobD

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 05:24:11 AM »
I'm in!

RobD
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 05:24:11 AM by RobD »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 07:57:27 AM »
It would be fun!

We've considered such an activity up here ... though it would be tricky to deal with too many folks (most people would have to camp!)

And the technology... hard to say - Im not sure that we'd be able to share much more at  such an event than we can online, but it would be lots of fun!  My thought would be mainly to get a few interested folks together and build a few machines over the course of 5 days or so - it would be fun and Im sure some new ideas would come fourth.

I'd definitely consider it whatever or wherever...

...just so I dont have to goto town ;-)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 07:57:27 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Gary D

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 08:41:07 AM »
Hi IFred, I'm in Southeast PA. here. Would love to see a workshop/ discussion event happen. I'd be more than willing to get some hands on experience with blade carving, and 3 phase wiring. The main reason for not attending Hugh's conference/workshop was hassles with getting to the destination. If it would have been at their home base in Colorado, I'd have made it.

Dan B., if you're willing to help assist some of us with building a few machines, count me in! I'd drive from Ft. Collins if need be daily to keep down the invasion of tents!(But not in January or Feb. ;-) ).

Heck, New York, Michigan, or wherever there's a nearby airport. I'm definately interested! Gary D.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 08:41:07 AM by Gary D »

monte350c

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 02:11:06 PM »
Hi Fred,

There really is a shortage of knowledge in our part of the country. But no shortage of desire of people to learn.

Maybe if it was organized just right we could convince Hugh P. plus all the Otherpower guys to do a workshop somewhere near here. All the US guys will get 30% off on the dollar exchange too.

Good idea - let's push it along.

Ted.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 02:11:06 PM by monte350c »

robp

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 06:19:18 PM »
Hi All,

I have been lurking for quite some time, and at some point will get a wind generator going.. I have a good site and the like.

In my town there is the following:

http://www.campbellfordchamber.on.ca/solar.html

It is located in a Provincial Park (Ontario) and has around 150 campsites which would mostly be empty at that time of year.   I could speak to the locals organizing this (I know there is a wind component to this), and get a seperate 'build your own section', I am sure the more the merrier.

It is about 4 hours from Montreal, 2 hrs from Toronto and of course 6 hours from Windsor.

Cheers, Rob

« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 06:19:18 PM by robp »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 09:39:03 AM »
Fred,

Your suggestion has greate merit but clearly would have to be and should be done in greate mulitples. This board, though American, has a globle following, Tom W I understand.

regards Allan  

« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 09:39:03 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.