Author Topic: simplex alt.  (Read 845 times)

hiker

• BIG DOG
simplex alt.
« on: July 18, 2004, 11:07:04 PM »
had my old 6ft. 2by4 blade laying around and a little singer 1/4 hp motor to

alt conversion sitting there --so i made a mount for them-when i picked up the blade i stuck a bolt threw the blade and notice that the hole i drilled was at a angle..

then i thought back when i had that blade mounted on my 3/4hp alt and woundered why

it didnt really speed up--well i belive you know the answer to that..

any way i mounted the blade straight on the 1/4 alt..drove down to my farorite windy spot--and tossed the simplex alt up on the pole--winds were about 25-35--well the

dang thing took off like a rocket--climbed down the ladder in a rush--thinking i didnt have my wires shorted[keeps the alt slowed down]they were shorted--ran for

my test headlamp -pulled the wires apart,-- then the blade on the alt sounded like it was going supersonic--next i saw my mounting nut fly off ,then the whasher,ran

around looking for a long stick to turn the tail out of the wind--found one then rushed back and slowly turned the tail out--thats when the blade took on a life of its own and flew a couple of 100 yards..--ended up in a spruce tree,with a few dings.

lesson here is - make dang sure you have those mounting nuts on tight !!!

well the next test was at ground level , i just held the windmill up in the air..

i was surprized it lit up my 12v headlamp with ease.[with the help of a good wind]

just using 6 ceramics in this alt...i was surprized at how much back pressure there

is when your holding onto one of these--felt like 20-30 pounds..winds at 20-30mph.

well thats how my day went..

« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 11:07:04 PM by (unknown) »
WILD in ALASKA

elvin1949

Re: simplex alt.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 01:44:19 AM »
hiker

interesting day

you got lucky

could have been hurt[BAD]

later

elvin