Author Topic: Unusual VAWT design  (Read 2925 times)

baggo

Unusual VAWT design
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:53:11 AM »
I came across this VAWT some time ago during one of my frequent ramblings through RE sites on the web.

http://www.rainbowtradingpost.com/crescent_gen.html

It sounds as though this is still under development but suggests it uses an AWP 3.6 alternator. The idea of having fixed vanes around the inner rotor seems interesting. As well as protecting the rotor from damage by external objects (and vice versa), presumably the vanes will 'funnel' the wind onto the rotor inside perhaps increasing performance? They will also shield the non power side of the rotor when it is travelling towards the wind and reduce drag there. Maybe produce a low pressure area at the front of the rotor? Looks like an interesting project to have a play with when I get time. Does anybody have any ideas about the possible design of the internal rotor? The description on the website is pretty vague and it is difficult to get any idea of size etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and comments,

John

« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 09:53:11 AM by (unknown) »

Gary D

Re: Unusual VAWT design
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:46:28 AM »
Looks very similar to Dan B's crossflow/banki hydro. Could be an interesting project for someone so inclined. No windspeed data included tho.... just rpm's. Foolish thought here.... Gary D.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 10:46:28 AM by Gary D »

Dutch

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 11:03:48 AM »
For me it's not clear how this thing converts energy in the wind to a rotating movement. The vanes/wings seems to be very small. It wouldn't have much torque. Why not give some more information about the concept? Is it lift- or drag based? The powercurve is from the AWP-generator. But will the thing meets the revelutions?

Too much questions I guess...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 11:03:48 AM by Dutch »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 03:09:17 PM »
I think that there is a savonius inside.

I think that the design is good.

Here living not so far from me, Erkki Nousiainen has built 14m tall Savonius with that kind of fixed 'guide vanes' outside the rotor.

His machine looks really special. I will send later some photos. In this photo it isn't ready yet. The 'guide vanes' aren't there yet.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 03:09:17 PM by hvirtane »

RobD

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 08:07:03 PM »
Wow! Hannu,

The neighbors must love him!

RobD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 08:07:03 PM by RobD »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 07:43:03 AM »
Not to sounds grouchy...

but it seems like every VAWT page I see (especially for those machines which are under development) starts out with a long list of all the "advantages" of that particular machine.  At least this page doesnt list all the drawbacks (noise, reliability issues, killing birds etc etc... ) associated with proven workable designs.

But this machine is talking 1KW @ 400 rpm.  To actually get 1KW from such a machine, I think it would have to be HUGE (I could be wrong..) - and at that size, I'm very doubtful it would spin anywhere near the 400 rpm that the AWP 3.6 needs to see.  

It's neat looking, and interesting though...  I think at some point after seeing so many "under development" VAWT wind turbine pages out there  - most of them completely unrealistic... I have become skeptical.

Interesting page though and thankyou for pointing it out!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 07:43:03 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

baggo

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 12:19:49 PM »
Hi all,

thanks for your comments. Have just come across this which seems to explain the basic design:http://members.axion.net/~enrique/windgenerator.html

I agree with DanB that the machine would probably have to be very large to produce 1kW.

John

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 12:19:49 PM by baggo »

Dutch

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 02:04:40 PM »
So the device has a Savonius inside. It's impossible for a Savonius to have a TSR > 1.

Reasoning:

The Savonius is a 100 percent drag based device. If the wings of a Savonius rotate with a TSR = 1 - what will mean that the device rotate with windspeed - there is no pressure anymore from the wind against the wings. Because the Savonius also has drag from the bearings and one of the wings have to move against the wind the actual TSR will be far less then 1.

If and only if my reasoning is correct, then, assume that the Savonius has a TSR = 1, and that it's diameter is 2 meters.

The circumference is then 2 x 3.14 = 6.28 m.

With 400 revolutions the windspeed will be 400 x 6.28 / 60  = 42 m/s.

So you need at least a typhoon or a hurricane to get 1 KWatt ;-)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 02:04:40 PM by Dutch »

baggo

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 02:29:28 PM »
Thanks for that Dutch,

That's probably why the design is still 'under developement' They probably can't get it to work! As Dan B suggests it's probably another impractical design however interesting it appears to be. I might have a go at building a small version just for the hell of it though if only to see if the external vanes do actually make any difference. Looks like a job for some plastic pipe!

John

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 02:29:28 PM by baggo »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »
yes, Ive seen that other page too...

I tend to remain skeptical about - but hard to say.  At any rate, I do think its a bit deceptive to buy an alternator (from the AWP 3.6) and copy their power curve graph, and call that the power curve for the wind turbine... it seems quite unlikely.

Here's another page... they have a bit more info, but not much.  Quick to discuss the advantages of their design, and the drawbacks of other designs, but absolutely no real information regarding actual power output.

http://aerotecture.com/

« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 08:18:00 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.