Author Topic: Used Ametek Alternative???  (Read 1162 times)

Matrix1000

Used Ametek Alternative???
« on: July 24, 2004, 12:51:48 PM »
Hi,

I've been wanting to get into wind enengy production for years but never had any spare cash to throw at it. I was browsing ebay last week and found a "58 in hornet turbine blade" and discovered Ametek Servos. So, I purchased one of each size Amatek servo(30,50,72,99 VDC)and the turbine blade and decided to sit down and design my own windgen. I decided I'd like to make a downwind turbine and came up with a pretty neat design.

My question's are...

1. Are there any sources for "New" brushless DC PM servo motors that would be suitable for small windgens.
  2. Is there a better alternative to a PM servo motor that would be more efficient/produce more power but be roughly the same size?

a. I'd like to place them in a piece of schedule ?? water pipe as the main generator body.

b. I have a 58" Turbine blade.

3. I was thinking of welding a piece of schedule ?? pipe to the main body pipe and placing a sealed Axle bearing as the bearing inside it for the yaw bearing, then placing the piece of schedule 40 tower pipe through the center of the bearing. (this allows wire from the servos to pass down the center of the pipe) Am I making this harder than it actually is or is there an easier way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or informaiton :)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 12:51:48 PM by (unknown) »