Author Topic: What makes Ametek Servos so special?  (Read 1090 times)

Matrix1000

What makes Ametek Servos so special?
« on: July 26, 2004, 09:00:37 AM »
I was just looking on ebay for some servos and noticed that there are a lot of servos available out there other than Ametek servos.

I was wondering what makes ametek servos more popular than other types of servos to use in windgen projects and if it was possible to use other brands/models.

From what information I could find I'm under the impression that any DC motor/servo could be used as a generator. It seems many of these servos have additional electronics in them for cnc operation etc that might be sensitive and I didn't want to spend a pocket full of money on them if they were just going to burn out for some crazy reason.

Thanks for any info.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 09:00:37 AM by (unknown) »

MelTx

Re: What makes Ametek Servos so special?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 11:33:05 AM »

Hello. I dont think they are so special.When the 50 volt motor I got wont put out but 15 vdc hooked to a drill motor running wide open,and a lot less [6vdc] in the wind.If you hook one to gasoline motor there might be 50 volts.The home made electric motor genny I made far surpasses the amtec 50 v....I am using old ceiling fan blades on both of them.The electric mortor gennys seem to perform better.I use the kind of motor that has bearings,not bushings,also eight coil type.With start and run windings.I dont think that unless I make 64 ft dia blades the amtec will ever charge a 12 v battery.Others may have had different luck with them, I dont know.

Hope this helps some.                 Franknbuger
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 11:33:05 AM by MelTx »

Putte

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 11:43:28 AM »
Hi Matrix1000

I have tested some 3 phase servo motors for charging batteries and the one to look for is thats rated for lower volt i did get 2 servo motors 400 volts for free and seams to work ok on 24 volt system :-) have some rated for 700 volt to and the dont work on 24 volt to high ohm.

The extra for cnc is just a sensor for the computer. (on them i have seen)

Think its good to know the open volt/rpm then you now if it will work and perhaps an idea on the prop size and tsr.

Putte :-)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 11:43:28 AM by Putte »

Chagrin

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 04:27:18 PM »
The "extra electronics" you'll find on a servo used for CNC should consist only of an encoder on the rear of the servo, assuming that it's a DC servo. The encoder won't have any effect on the servo's operation as a generator and should always be easily removable.

Nothing special about the Ametek servos other than the fact that they put out a relatively higher voltage at lower RPM.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 04:27:18 PM by Chagrin »

eformx

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 10:35:15 PM »
Matrix1000,

I think the Ametek are a cheap alternative to trying your hands at generating electricity.

I am using an Ametek 30 vdc 300 rpm motor.  With my current setup of 45 inch pvc blades (with a 25 degree twist) the cut in is 3 to 4.1 mph.  The voltage was coming in around 12 volts.  At 10 to 12 mph I was reading 20+ volts.

This motor from surpluscenter.com cost me $30 USD so it was rather cheap.  My complete cost for my wind turbine setup was $200 cdn (not including batteries).  

I am hoping for 300 watts in a 10 mph wind. I have read that these motors can last several years, and even if I have to replace it every 2-3 years, they are cheap.  300 watts in solar panels will cost you several thousand, so $30 USD is a good deal to experiment.

Rob

« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 10:35:15 PM by eformx »