Author Topic: magna paint  (Read 1506 times)

wiredwrong

magna paint
« on: July 29, 2004, 07:20:56 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to see if anyone has heard of magnapaint, its a flat black paint that you can apply to a wood surface and that suface will attract a magnet, it can also be used like a chalk board.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how this might be used in gennys or would it be a complete waste of time, should I just use it as a cheap black board that I can store magnets on??

thanks in advance

Wired_Wrong, OKLA
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 07:20:56 PM by (unknown) »

MelTx

Re: magna paint
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 11:35:25 AM »

Hello   About how strong is the attraction ? Could it be used to make lamanates?

Where do you get this magnetic paint? How much is it a gallon ?

Franknbuger                  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 11:35:25 AM by MelTx »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 04:02:53 PM »
You should see if it's fine metal particles or a ferrite.

If it's a ferrite it will have a lot of hysteresis.  I think that will make it eat energy from changing fields.  Could be used as a magnet, but it's not going to give neos a run for their money.

If it's unoxidized metal particles it might serve as a flux path.  But there are better ways to make a core than solidify a block of paint.

Can't think of what else to do with it.  But maybe somebody else will.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 04:02:53 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

wiredwrong

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 06:33:51 PM »
I work in a depot store and we have about 2 gallons of it, I stuck a magnet from a microwave to the side of the plastic container and it seemed as if it had a good pull, the paint does not attract metal objets but a magnet will stick to it as for the price, my boss said I could have it if I wanted it. I know that it came from Menards, wich is something like home depot or lowes, how much they sold it for originally Im not sure I will look to see if its ferite or iron particles next time I go to work (Monday) the only use that I can think of thus far is a chalk board that is way cheaper that trying to go buy one, and i can stick notes to it with magnets, but I was hoping that it could be used to improve performance of a genny, Im gathering mags and wire from microwaves to try and build my first. I aslo get all the broken solar yard lights from there, they contain 2 1.2v 500mAH aa batteries, and the cells put out almost 4 volts each, I hope to build a really nice pannel from these, even better they contain a really nice white led and so far Ive converted a flashlight to use these led's seems to last forever, I cant remember the last time I had to change the batteries since the conversion. I may be willing to part with some of this paint for shipping to someone who wants to try using in the construction of a genny. I read the post hear every day so if anyone wants to contact me about it, reply here and Ill get back to you.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 06:33:51 PM by wiredwrong »

eva

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 12:03:33 PM »
What's a 'genny'. You have a great idea with the flash light - you should market it!! I wonder if you could build a car which runs on solar power. Not a race car, but an "around town" car.

About magna paint: I heard about it the first time on HGTV this morning at a show called room by room. The made up a children's room - topic moon and stars, and bought a press wood board which they cut in the shape of a moon or something, sealed it and then painted it with magna paint so the child can use it for a magnetic board and stick notes to it and also write on it with chalk it was actuall kinda cool.

Contact HGTV or check Lowes or Home depot online.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:03:33 PM by eva »