Author Topic: Coil width  (Read 1235 times)

windrules

Coil width
« on: July 30, 2004, 08:24:57 PM »
Hi guys I am a little confused about correct coil width.Some say the space in the middle should equal the width of the magnet an others say you need to span the coil width to just inside or on the magnets between the magnets.My undestanding was that the N pole should touch the edge of the coil at the same time the S pole leaves the other edge.I guess it is possible to get all 3 but I doubt it.

Doing a search on this just confuses me as the answer always seems different.

Thanks again,

Mos
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 08:24:57 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Coil width
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 09:37:12 PM »
Some say the space in the middle should equal the width of the magnet an others say you need to span the coil width to just inside or on the magnets between the magnets.My undestanding was that the N pole should touch the edge of the coil at the same time the S pole leaves the other edge.I guess it is possible to get all 3 but I doubt it.  Doing a search on this just confuses me as the answer always seems different.

In my opinion.

1. You want the opening of the coil very slightly larger than the magnet pole.  (The field spreads out a little bit.)
  2. You want the pole LEAVING the coil to just be touching the INSIDE edge as the pole ENTERING the coil is just touching the OUTSIDE edge.
  3. is more important than 1), because it improves your waveshape for charging.  Having the coil oversize because your magnet is too small in order to meet criterion 2) is just fine.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 09:37:12 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Electric Ed

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 09:41:31 PM »
In order for the voltages induced into the two "legs" (sides) of a coil to add instead of cancelling, when the voltage in one side is forcing current up, the voltage in other side must be forcing current down.

Try to visualize the magnets moving, in slow motion, past a coil.

One side (leg) of the coil must be under the influence of a South pole during the entire period that the other side of the same coil is under the influence of a North pole.

TO achieve this, the coil span (width) should be equal to the center-to-center (or edge-to-edge) distance between the magnets.

Electric Ed

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 09:41:31 PM by Electric Ed »

DERFMOOSE

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 10:12:38 PM »
         hI I'm confused!  when working wirg round mags do u 1 make round coils

2 make square coils

3 make ovel coils

I'm working with 1in(25mm)x1/4(6mm) mags. I want to use 8 mags with 7 coils . I know someone has posted on this before but scearch can't find it
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 10:12:38 PM by DERFMOOSE »

Electric Ed

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 06:09:23 AM »
It doesn't matter what shape the coils are relative to the magnets, but any portion of the coil that isn't swept by the magnets is unproductive, and adds resistance and increases losses.

Electric Ed

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 06:09:23 AM by Electric Ed »

windrules

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 08:29:51 PM »
Thanks guys for the info,I needed to clear this up before atempting to make an axial flux sometime.

Regards,

Mos
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 08:29:51 PM by windrules »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 05:54:26 AM »
The average voltage produced by a turn in the coil will depend on how much flux it can enclose.

A turn will enclose maximum flux if it hass the same pitch as the magnets themselves, in other words if it runs down the centre between th two magnets, or equally runs down the centres of two magnets when the magnets move on to there..  

Of course you can't fit all the turns in the same place.  Turns that are smaller will catch less flux but they are also shorter and so add less resistance to the coil.  And so long as they are as big as or bigger than the magnet face, they will catch most of the flux that is going.

If you are winding single phase, then it makes sense to wind coils whose maximum size is the same as the magnet pitch.  This allows you to put one coil per magnet pole.  Inner turns are less productive, but they can be quite short.  However, as the turns start to enclose a space narrower than the magnet face you have to ask whether it is worth the extra copper resistance beyond a certain point.

If you want to keep the hole in the coil as large as the magnet face then you can't get a lot of turns into a single phase stator.  Depending how far apart the magnets are, you have much of the space becoming a no-go area.

3 phase is easier.  YOu can make coils that have all their turns outside the magnet face (and inside the adjoining magnet faces) so as to capture as much flux as possible.  You can then move them together (changing the phase) so they touch each other and maximise the utilistation of space in the stator disk.  I like 3 coils for every 4 magnets.

In fact if you overlap the coils you can make them use up all the space but I find this makes them very long (more resistance) and also rather complex to assemble.

You don't have to have just 3 phases, by  the way, you can have 4, 5 etc as desired just so your coils all fit in the mould.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 05:54:26 AM by scoraigwind »
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk