Author Topic: A VAWT idea  (Read 5210 times)

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
A VAWT idea
« on: August 01, 2004, 01:16:10 PM »
Some time ago 'WindstuffEd' posted pictures

of his design, which is now called 'Lenz turbine'.

http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/vawt.htm

In my opinion his results from the first

experimental machines are really good.

During a discussion I suggested that in

the center of the 'Lenz turbine' there

could be something like a 'Savonius'

to add power at least on slow speeds.

I made a small drawing

to demonstrate the idea.

There are 6 'wings' in this version.

What do you think, would it work

better or worse than Ed's machine?

- Hannu

« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 01:16:10 PM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: A VAWT idea
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 03:50:40 PM »
Hannu....Looks like it might work better but then it would be a little bit more to build...then again the performance gained might well be worth the extra effort...( I know my opinion sounds kinda wishy-washy but that's me!)

Fun! Fun!   ....fun....( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 03:50:40 PM by Norm »

Matrix1000

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 03:56:51 PM »
I always wonder about the pressure barrier at the enterance caused as the wind rushes in but cant get into the blades to escape... Its always scooping air..Perhaps a hole or holes at the top/bottom will cure that.

Heres an Idea that it made me think of.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 03:56:51 PM by Matrix1000 »

windstuffnow

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 06:18:55 PM »
  Hannu,

I posted something like that some time ago using a 3 bladed savinous to catch the air internally.

It will definately help to capture more of the incomming power.  I don't think adding more blades or vanes will help though.  It may tend to disrupt to much incomming air and add to the drag on the up wind side.  With a 3 blade arrangement you have one on it's way out and one starting on the downwind side and the drag of 1 blade on the upwind.  

My efforts with the Lenz turbine was to create as much low pressure behind the mill as possible so the incomming air will tend to carry the blade farther around as the incomming air tries to fill the void.  I highly doubt I'm getting the full effect from this but it does make a reasonably efficient VAWT, at least in the test models I've built so far.  Hopefully I'll have some time this year to see how a larger unit fairs.  By the way things are going right now it may not be until September when I get caught up with everything... we'll see...

Have Fun!

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 06:18:55 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

wiredwrong

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 06:35:37 PM »
Hey this may be a stupid idea, or question or thought

But isn't the Savonius wind mill design very similar to the basic roof vent that has been used for many years on top of a house to vent attic air? I've noticed these roof vents turn in the slightest of breezes, and I know from climbing up on the roof to put a cover over them for winter that even the smallest breeze causes them to generate what seems to me to be a preety good amount of torque for its size. I've often thought of increasing the size of one to see if it could turn a small brusless dc motor to generate at least a small amount of energy for charging batteries??? anyone else ever considered using one????

« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 06:35:37 PM by wiredwrong »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 09:27:30 PM »

Half barrel with the wings but thinner and pitched to take advatage of the high speed

air comming off the edge off the back side drag is what I've been working on .new cycle every 90 degrees This angle of the wing  picks up the downwind before the leading edge of the barrel edge and a vortex apears  the between the bottom of the wing and the barrel edge I'll take some more smoke pics when I take it down this fall. I say barrels I've been useing 5 gal thinner cans

« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 09:27:30 PM by tecker »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 05:24:11 PM »
Hi,

now I remember that I have seen

picture with the Savonius inside.

I think that the savonius inside should be open.

So that the ingoing air can escape from the

the other side. Today made a drawing with

three wings like this:

Maybe there could be some fixed wings

outside the turbine to catch more air?

- Hannu

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 05:24:11 PM by hvirtane »