Author Topic: Axial VS Radial Design  (Read 1872 times)

zowwie438

Axial VS Radial Design
« on: August 02, 2004, 08:52:09 AM »
All,

I have been doing some research on Axial design VS Radial designs.   While the radial appears to be more difficult for constructing and for cooling... Some say it's better because you can get more power bang with additional width VS additional radius.

Here are some links that may help others.

Great article on axial, radial, etc.

http://www.elteknik.chalmers.se/Publikationer/EMKE.publ/Abstracts/old/Grauers_PhD_Thesis.pdf

Article that says Axial is better than Radial:

http://helium.ee.tut.fi/tuuliryhma/weg_articles/ewec2001c.pdf

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 08:52:09 AM by (unknown) »

LEXX

Re: Axial VS Radial Design
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:14:18 AM »
The second one is interesting, they propose that axial is 80% efficient at 2 m/s?  Also what do you guys think about the dual stator system, quite a bit more complicated to build but would you get quite a lot more power for the magnet buck?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:14:18 AM by LEXX »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Axial VS Radial Design
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 11:57:59 AM »
I haven't looked at the first reference, but in the second one they have chosen a poor example of radial to compare with.

There is really not a lot of difference between the two types, the balance is usually tilted towards axial for home construction as it can be done without a lathe.

The only thing I can think of in favour of the dual stator is that with thinner stators it may be more practical to use overlaping coils and the cooling may be better.

Having extra mechanical air gaps reduces the effective winding area.

I think they were rather worried about magnet cooling. The newer grades of Neo are better and I haven't noticed it to be a problem anyway.

Flux
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:57:59 AM by Flux »