Author Topic: Wheel bearing lubricant ?  (Read 1251 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Wheel bearing lubricant ?
« on: August 07, 2004, 02:12:07 PM »
I've got new bearings in my wheel hub and have been balancing my blades (12') and rotor assembly with just the packing oil on the bearings. I've also left off (for now) the grease seal. This is allowing very little friction for accurate balancing. Before I pack the bearings and install the seal does anyone have any ideas or have used different grease or oil for their hub ? Long cold (and windy) winters have me wondering about maybe a lighter weight lubricant. If I need to maintain it once or twice a year that's fine unlike the regular wheel bearing grease on a car where the drag goes un-noticed. Yes, I've done a search but there's alot more experience out there since the last string on this. Thank you,  Dave B.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 02:12:07 PM by (unknown) »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Wheel bearing lubricant ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 02:39:15 PM »
Dave;

Not sure how it would work on a mill bearing but some ATVs use ATF in the hubs running about half way up the bearing. It seems to work fine and is not stiff even in super cold weather like bearing grease would be. In fact my Polaris used a fairly standard automotive bearing this way on the front hubs had a hole tapped into the hub with a plug in it to fill and change the fluid.

Just one method in use for pretty severe service grit, mud, submerged in water so i think it can stand up to the environment of a mill.

T

« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 02:39:15 PM by TomW »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 02:53:27 PM »
there is no reason that ATF could not be used, i would use a good quality wheel seal, and an oiler style cap if you can find one, if not then possibly an oiler from a boat supplier.

another possibility is 50 weight synthetic lubes common in the trucking industry, they get extremely long life out of brgs using this stuff, spendy but good stuff.

bob g

« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 02:53:27 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

wdyasq

Oil
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 02:59:35 PM »
Dave,

Almost any light oil will work.  Trucks started using oil and 'O-Ring' caps years ago. The lighter weight oil dissapated heat better.  'See-thru' caps were used on some bearings.  One could see the oil level and if the bearings were starting to deteriorate with a glance at the hub.  

A synthetic would be even thinner and might give better protection.  I just don't know on that.

Ron

« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 02:59:35 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Moly-D
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 04:05:31 PM »
I have found both greases and oils impregnated with molybendulm Dysulfied(sp? right now atleast) work the best lubrication properies and low friction.

JW

« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 04:05:31 PM by JW »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 05:24:45 AM »

I'd have to say use standard wheel bearing grease and light torque on the nut

would be the best. An oil might sling out of the seal and make a mess . I'm sure

after a brake in  you should take it down for inspection and a general

torque down . A heavy grease will allow you to run the bearing as loose as possible

to to decrease starting friction.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 05:24:45 AM by tecker »

12volt dan

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 08:44:42 AM »
As a truck and coach mecanic I can vouch for the oil but be prepared to change seals, they are going to leak. One way of cheating the process is the new semi-fluid synthetic lubes. They are expexsive but they're the best. you should be able to get it from any good truck repair center.

Ive never tried removing the seal on a bearing and running this stuff in place of grease so I can't say. What I can say is on truck hubs (lot higher temps) that it leaks less

« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 08:44:42 AM by 12volt dan »