Author Topic: What About Car Starter Motors  (Read 1217 times)

Matrix1000

What About Car Starter Motors
« on: August 09, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »
Would a car starter motor be any good as a generator?  

Anyone tried it or know if it would work?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 11:13:00 PM by (unknown) »

Virgis

Re: What About Car Starter Motors
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 01:13:23 AM »
Hi Matrix,

yes, it could be used as generator. I have tried to use a car starter motor as generator. There are some starters with PM 6 or 8 pole stator and assembled gear box (Mercedes Benz, Toyota, etc.). But, car starters are not designedas for a long time running. There are not ball bearings, so, You will have a problem with lubrication and  high friction . I am working with car starter now, but it will be another way to use it. I will rewind rotor and it will be 3 phase 8 pole AC brusheless generator .A colletor will be removed. It means that rotor will be as a shaft for PM stator. Stator will be spinning aroud a rotor.  But it will take a lot of mechanical jobs.

Regards

Vigis & WIND KIDS

« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 01:13:23 AM by Virgis »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 02:30:36 AM »

Lots of problems there and for the same money at the junk yard alternators

there are alternators aplenty . Some with  bad brushes some with bad reg or rectifier but most have good armature and stator windings . They have flat surfaces on the armature

that are ready to be ground down to glue on some 1/8 " magnets for low speed operation

and then add some new brushes to increase the field for  when torque is available . They also put out 120 volts plus on the ac side . Very versatile unit . Some good bearing sets are what I'm looking for but I've had good luck with them . For $40

you can buy a rebuilt delco with no regulator thats ready for mods a vise in a drill press

with a milling bit is all you need for a quality job  . Mill off 3 /16  inch an add some

1"x ¾ "x 1/8 " magnets on the fingers of the armature and put it back together .
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 02:30:36 AM by tecker »

drdongle

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 05:48:32 AM »
Starters with PM magnets are a possibility but need a lot of shop work to use and as was said by some one else they only have sleeve bearings. Series wound units are right out.

Carpe Vigor

Dr.D

« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 05:48:32 AM by drdongle »

Matrix1000

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 09:40:17 AM »
Very Helpful!  Thanks for the info :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 09:40:17 AM by Matrix1000 »