Author Topic: Wacky windmills....  (Read 1942 times)

windstuffnow

Wacky windmills....
« on: August 19, 2004, 02:14:05 PM »
  I was going through a bunch of parts and pieces in my shop looking for just the right piece to fabricate into another stupid idea and ran into a couple old projects that I thought I'd share... These were disassembled and in the pile so I dug out what I could to partially assemble them.... don't laugh now...

This one was based on the lift theory and I wanted as much speed as I could get.  Each wing follows its own lift path and provides constant torque on the shaft.  Well It sort of worked spinning at around 1000 rpm in a 15mph wind but the power output was so low I decided it wasn't worth pursuing and ended up in the pile....

This next one should get a chuckle...  Another lift based design.  I had figured my ultralight wing would lift 1200 lbs at 30 mph it has a wing span of 29 ft and a cord of around 4ft.  This little gem was an off spring of what a wing will lift...

The wing span on this is 2 ft and a cord of 8 inches.  This actually works quite well ( still ).  In a 15 mph wind it will lift 50 lbs 1 inch 60 times per minute.  It runs fairly slow ( 30 rpm).   Each wing runs opposite of the other when one is on its way up the other is on its way down.  It runs on a crankshaft and the wings are timed to change angles at the top and bottom of each stroke.  The timing on the wing angle change is simply 90* from the power stroke.  It basically works like an engine only using the wind as the input power and the wings would be the "pistons".  Its built and timed just like a stirling engine and the offset of the crank throw reangles the wings properly.  Slow turning and an extreem amount of torque.  I had always planned to build a larger one to put on the barn and have a spare 14 ft wing section I saved for the project....

Here is a closer shot of the crank...j

Ok you can laugh now.... I really should put together all the parts and pieces in their original form and post them on my site... could be fun!  There are probably a dozen or more out there that are just as strange or stranger....

Just having fun as always...

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 02:14:05 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

LEXX

Re: Wacky windmills....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 05:35:32 PM »
I've gotta say Ed, even your wierd stuff looks good, do you power your workshop with homebrew?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 05:35:32 PM by LEXX »

Electric Ed

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 10:53:04 AM »
A true windmill addict would never laugh at any new design, no matter how bizarre. I am always impressed by your workmanship.

Here are a couple of my wacky windmill models.

Electric Ed

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 10:53:04 AM by Electric Ed »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 11:52:54 AM »
The second one is really interesting.

I have had some thoughts like that,

but never built any working model.

You've got any figures,

how much it produces power?

- Hannu

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 11:52:54 AM by hvirtane »

windstuffnow

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 01:37:44 PM »
  Hannu,

It will lift 50lbs 1 inch 60 times per minute so that comes out to about 250ft lbs/33000 = .00757hp or 5.65 watts in a 15mph wind.  The model is fairly small, with a 2 ft wing span.  The frontal area, depending on how its measured comes in at around 1.33 sq ft.  I guess that makes it around 24% efficient.  

With the wings oposing each other it's like the blades on an HAWT and has a rotational torque on the machine which switches each 1/2 revolution.  This causes some massive vibration even at low rpm.   If I were to build a larger one it would only have one wing.  The power was drawn from the back of the trailing arms which increases leverage from the crank movement. The crank was basically used for a timing device and a way to move the blades.

Definately a fun project in any case...

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 01:37:44 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

windstuffnow

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 01:45:14 PM »
  Electric Ed,

Thats a pretty slick little unit !!! Are the blades stationary or do they have some articulation?

I've found just about anything will turn, twist, flop or break when placed in the path of mother nature.  I have alot of odd ideas, some are downright stupid but I like to tinker with my dumb ideas because usually they all lead to some really good ideas as well as what not to do next...

Just lots of fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 01:45:14 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 07:00:37 PM »
With the wings oposing each other it's like the blades on an HAWT and has a rotational torque on the machine which switches each 1/2 revolution.  This causes some massive vibration even at low rpm.   If I were to build a larger one it would only have one wing.

Well I think it's a great design.  And if I were going to scale it up I'd have MORE blades, not less, in a balanced configuration of at least four, times two or three phases (8 or 12 total).  You'd still get bending vibrations on the internal structure.  But you could cancel out the vibration on the support.

Hmmm...  Could get away with half as many if you stacked them rather than having a pipe in the middle and spreading them out horizontally.

Imagine several hundred feet of 6' fence built of this.  (With an outer protective barrier to keep the critters from getting squashed between the wings.)  Even low to the ground you could collect quite a bit of power.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 07:00:37 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

windstuffnow

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 08:46:37 PM »
   Ungrounded,

It has alot of potential as far as torque, like I said a 29 ft wing will lift 1200 lbs in a 30 mph wind, unfortunately it also runs quite slow.   Since it runs and moves the wings from the crank, a bicycle base would work well, like a 12 speed in high gear.  Another problem is its not easily moved into the wind although could be set up to do so even with a large wing span.  I really don't think it would make a good generator being sort of ground based but on a hillside it may have some potential.  It would also work great with the wings submerged in a stream with a reasonable flow rate.   Lots of possibilities for the wind motor.

I have another wing based chain drive system that works on a similar principal but the wings are vertical, very slow moving and quite powerful and has it's own built in redrive... a little more complicated than the one shown here...  I got a bunch of oddballs...

Have Fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 08:46:37 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 05:54:48 AM »
  Ed, This second one looks like something that anybodys neighbors might not complain too much about... 2 wings slowy rising and falling about as hazardous appearing (except for the crank mechanism which you could enclose), as a couple of sheets hanging on a clothesline.

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 05:54:48 AM by Norm »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 06:03:55 AM »
  Ed, This second one looks like something that anybodys neighbors might not complain too much about... 2 wings slowy rising and falling about as hazardous appearing (except for the crank mechanism which you could enclose), as a couple of sheets hanging on a clothesline.

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 06:03:55 AM by Norm »

windstuffnow

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 08:19:14 AM »
  Norm,

It might look safe from a distance but with a large wing on it I certainly wouldn't want to be under it on its down stroke.   Unfortunately, ground winds are usually fairly tame since alot of the energy has been removed by obsicals along the way so unless it was on a platform it really wouldn't make a massive amount of power.

Possibly, if it were mounted on a hillside collecting updrafts....  I built a wing for a larger one but never completed the project...

Maybe some day...

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 08:19:14 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

rotornuts

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 08:57:54 AM »
You make me feel better ed. Actually this whole board is great for accepting peculiar plans. I'll have to put my hand up as well for liking the second one. I'd consider bolting it vertically to a collar with a tail out the other end half way up one of your windmill towers. Split collars so you can fit around the pipe without having to slip over the top.

Cool stuff ed.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:57:54 AM by rotornuts »

picmacmillan

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 12:44:32 PM »
hi ed...this kind of post is the reason i hang around fieldlines..its nice to have some folks like youself who are innovators...good job....keep up the good work..pickster

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 12:44:32 PM by picmacmillan »