Author Topic: Brake rotor wind mills  (Read 1056 times)

BrianK

Brake rotor wind mills
« on: August 26, 2004, 11:19:48 AM »
I have been thinking oh a way to some what block a gen from the elemints. So here is what I am thinking "Use the brake rotor and the rim. The rim could make a place to mount blades bolted onto the rotor it could block the gen from a lot of different weather when the wind is blowing. I know it would make the genny heavier but remember it is just a thought. Please tell me if this sounds like a rather good idea.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 11:19:48 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Brake rotor wind mills
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 01:01:40 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "rim".

You might get some shelter by using a drum, rather than a disk, brake mechanism for your genny.  (Say by putting the magnets on the inside of the brake drum and building a stator with the coils plus a laminated counter-pole structure.)

The genny would be water-resistant but not watertight, especially since it would face toward the wind when running, partly toward it when feathered, and would tend to keep things dry and relatively dust-free.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 01:01:40 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

BrianK

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 02:00:54 PM »
By the rim I mean the part that the tire is mounted on
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 02:00:54 PM by BrianK »

Radomike

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 11:25:59 PM »
  I don't know if the weight would be justified, but maybe a second (identical) wheel welded to the first could completely enclose the alt.

The second wheel would have all but the hollow cylinder cut out, stacked on & welded watertight.  Just a thought...

Mike  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 11:25:59 PM by Radomike »