Author Topic: What now?  (Read 1401 times)

Monzadude

What now?
« on: January 16, 2005, 01:41:03 AM »
Well I just had a great day at work. I asked our electrician if we had any of these motors lying around. He smiled and said "yup! come with me." It's an old one that is just taking up space so now it's mine. Free!! Ok now the most important part. What do I do with it? I am very knew at this and have no clue where to start. Here is some of the info on the motor itself.

HP-   1/2

Volts-  90 DC

Amps-  4.7

RPM-  1750

There is an extra part on the back of the motor that I was told just unbolts. The electrician said it was just to step down the input volts or something like that.It's not even wired to the motor. I tested it the best that I could and this is what I got;

Spining it by hand      10 - 20 volts  ( depending on how quick you are )

using a cordless drill on low (350RPM)   11-12 vdc

same drill on high (700RPM)           23 - 25 volts

I can't read amps. I only have a cheap tester. My good one died for some reason.

I live in town and can't have a huge turbine in my back yard. A small- mediun would be best. What would this make. I would like to add this to what solar I have now. It run at 12 volts. How do you regulate the volts so I don't blow my batteries? Also how do I control it so it won't over charge them when there fully charged? Or is this all part of the same thing? Sorry for all the quetion but like I said, I'm new at this. ( and just a little excited) I'm already driving my wife nut and I just got home. I'm going to try and post some pics. Never done it before some I hope it works. The bottom pic is me just spining it by hand.Thanks

Bill

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 01:41:03 AM by (unknown) »

picmacmillan

Re: What now?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 07:47:07 PM »
first thing is to try and make your pictures smaller

maybe 300x400 or so....good luck there is lots of folks

who have done conversions...on these

search for your motor type or ask again with a

smaller picture as your post will be very hard

to read especially those with slow dial up...pickster
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 07:47:07 PM by picmacmillan »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 09:42:04 PM »
Hi Bill

You could do this?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 09:42:04 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 09:46:46 PM »
Hi Bill

Thats a biut. Your mounting is diferant than mine. Its actully better. No clamps to mess with.

The batteries will keep the voltage in check. Just add the things you see in my pix. The only thing not showing is a blocking diode. You should put this at the battery along with a fuse for safty.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 09:46:46 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 10:03:48 PM »
The A-HUB just sits atop the mast like a pipe over pipe. Don't use the set screws. Grease the crap out of it. I use copper never sieze. Grease it up 6 mo. or yearly?

It yaws fairly well with just a littel drag to keep the genny from hunting to fast like a fish flopping around?

Wire goes down the center.  Out of 30 flown only had one lift off the mast. That was do to wrong spot location.

Most off these gennies are 30 LBs or less. Your tredmill genny will be around that wieght? Maybe 20 LBs?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 10:03:48 PM by Jerry »

Opera House

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 04:41:37 AM »
Just need a diode to keep it from turning back into a motor.  Some sailboat guys have a switch to momentatily "bump" the motor in light winds to overcome initial blade inertia.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 04:41:37 AM by Opera House »

billf

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 10:54:47 AM »
Good find. You can make a mount with a furling mechanism to control overall output. Do a search on servo motors on otherpower and you'll find one I made from sch. 40 pipe which has worked well. A 4 or 5 foot 3 blade prop will work well. Get a Trace C30 and configure it for a diversion load controller to limit power to the batteries to prevent overcharging.

billf

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 10:54:47 AM by billf »

nothing to lose

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 02:39:36 PM »
I just found a treadmill today at the scrap yard myself, and yes the motor is on it still.

Wanna race :)

What is the blade angle and rotor diameter you've been using on these. And were you doing better with 3 or 4 blades?

Also all the hubs I been getting are twisted for counterclockwise rotation, will your blades work or those or will they be cut wrong for the straight leading edge side with my reverse rotation I would have. I may just get new hubs instead of using what I have, just I have about a dozen or more now!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 02:39:36 PM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »
Well mine probably not that great, I got it.

130vdc 4.? amp nearly 6,000rpm?? 2hp!

Used my drill press and around 500-760 rpm about 8v under load. On excercise bike using large tire to drive small motor pully we got to about 16Vdc underload and normal pedling.

That is large pedal sprocket, small wheel sprocket, LARGE wheel, small motor pulley.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 12:31:54 PM by nothing to lose »