Author Topic: got one in the air!  (Read 2505 times)

picmacmillan

got one in the air!
« on: February 17, 2005, 11:56:29 PM »
just a couple photo's of my first genny i had built..i didn't want to go to the trouble of putting up a pole while i am here in the city, as i am leaving for the north in a month or so, and the gennies are coming with me.internetfred offered to put my genny on his pole,s o over it wnet to his house...i don't have any data yet, but as soon as it comes in via internetfred, then i will be glad to share it.....along with this, i have finally wired my batteries up for my generator and also some ebay solar panels and i am happy to say my garage and all its components are now off grid...yipeee!

below is the battery bank i will be using as soon as i can get up north and get serious. just a couple days ago, i had just aluminum wire, and low and behold a friend had about 70' of copper welding wire..BINGO!...works fantastic...and the price of free was beauty(as we say in canada)...thanks to all the folks who have helped me get this far...i will start a diary in the next couple days for all the newbies..i took real good notes and photo's of the entire wind generator building process from making the coils, forming the sator, magnets, etc..take care..pickster

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 11:56:29 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: got one in the air!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 05:15:53 PM »
Looks great!

You didn't read anything about "Start small" did you? :)

G-

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:15:53 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 05:16:11 PM »
pickster;

Hey, looks very good, man. Sure hope it performs as expected. Always nice to see a fresh machine ready to rock.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:16:11 PM by TomW »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 05:24:54 PM »
congratulations, now your part of the solution!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:24:54 PM by electrondady1 »

Shadow

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 05:36:35 PM »

Good Job Pic!... Its a good feeling to see it fly after all your work eh? Mines been flying for a week, cant help but just sit and watch it at times.Be interesting to hear your stats when you get them. Good Luck.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:36:35 PM by Shadow »

zubbly

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 05:56:35 PM »
Hey Pic!

Looks great!  Hope the wind stays in her sails and makes everything a little brighter for us all.

Guess ya realize by now its something like those Lays Potatoe chips.  You can't have just one!  Whats on the drawing board for the next one?   :)

have fun, zubbly

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:56:35 PM by zubbly »

picmacmillan

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 06:22:51 PM »
haha zubbly i guess you know that its for sure something new...and as a matter of fact i was going to start reading your diary on those conversions...i been interested in that for a while.....if my buddy mark reads this, maybe he can stop by with one of them motors he got donated..hint hint...take care boys...pickster
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 06:22:51 PM by picmacmillan »

Chiron

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 06:39:31 PM »
Another one takes the plunge, seems that there's an epidemic starting.

Congrats on hoisting your sail on the Sea of Independance!

Hope the wind come up for you and we can get some hard data on your design.

Chiron

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 06:39:31 PM by Chiron »

windstuffnow

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 06:49:26 PM »
  She looks great!  I wish my first one looked that good... of course back in the 70's we didn't have a fine board like this one to learn from... it was all hit and miss experimentation.  It would either go or blow just like our race cars!

Have Fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 06:49:26 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Volvo farmer

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 07:19:30 PM »
Wow, that's outstanding. Recycled batteries, homebuilt solar panels and homebrew wind turbine. You need to figure out how much this cost and submit an article to homepower magazine about RE on a budget. Congratulations! that's a very nice system you are building.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 07:19:30 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 08:01:03 PM »
I notice you've got both your battery-to-everywhere-else wires on the same battery pair - at the back of the picture.  That means the battery pair at the front of the picture is seeing a much different electrical environment than the pair at the back.  It will charge slower, discharge slower, etc.  The one at the back of the picture will take more of the wear, and each pair in the string will see a different environment from any other..

With your positive and negative poles tied in a daisy-chain like that, you should take ONE of those two wires and hook it to the battery at the OTHER end of the string instead.  (Do your hookups on the kiddy-corners.)  That way all the batteries will see the same wiring resistance and thus the same voltages, draw the same currents, etc.  Much better for system life, somewhat better for performance.

They sometimes use the same hack when wiring lamps in parallel on a bridge or long stretch of road, to keep them all the same brightness:  Run the hot wire all the way to the other end of the string then hop from lamp to lamp on its way back.  (When they don't wire them in series or put distribution transformers every so often, that is.)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:01:03 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

picmacmillan

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 09:10:08 PM »
thanks underground...i will put that on my "to do list" tomorrow...thanks for the tip..."consider it done"..now upstairs to visit the missus...it is pay day you know :D   pickster
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 09:10:08 PM by picmacmillan »

whatsnext

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 09:50:06 PM »
Pickster, Very cool and nice job. It's making my EDTA experiments look a little puny in comparison. If you don't mind a suggestion you might want to get the batteries off the floor and provide a bit more space between each battery to allow a good airflow. You really don't want the bottom of the bat to be cooler, or warmer, than the top or sides.

John.......
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 09:50:06 PM by whatsnext »

iFred

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 04:52:55 AM »
Ahhhhh! Another proud owner of a beautiful wind genny!! Now we wait for wind, which brings us to the first rule of genny makin; after putin up a first genny there be no wind for a day or two. But fear not, it's comin...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 04:52:55 AM by iFred »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 06:56:43 AM »
I think Volvo Farmer is right.  You have documented and photographed everything.

Home made, recycled, and seconds.  It dosen't get any better than that.

G-
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 06:56:43 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

picmacmillan

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 10:32:09 AM »
thats true dh fred?....thanks for all your help...it most certainly would not be flying without your help....it was alot of fun.....pickster
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 10:32:09 AM by picmacmillan »

richhagen

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 02:42:10 PM »
Looks great!  Congratulations.  Rich Hagen
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:42:10 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Aelric

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 05:04:54 PM »
Congradulations Pic! Great job, and I agree with Volvo Farmer, you ought to get an article into Backhome or Homepower (just let us know what magazine you put it in hehehehe) would love to read it from start to finish :-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 05:04:54 PM by Aelric »

iFred

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 05:11:50 PM »
I enjoyed it as well, it was fun. Thank you!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 05:11:50 PM by iFred »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2005, 10:34:23 AM »

Watch it he's gona try to keep it
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 10:34:23 AM by tecker »

iFred

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2005, 08:43:28 PM »
I have never taken anything from anyone nor do I want anything from anyone.

Tecker, I don't know you or who you think you are, but I suggest highly that you apologize for that statement against my good character. I have shown nothing but good intentions and help to both this board and help to others through the years. I don't know where you come off with such a hurtful statement.

Apologize now or suffer the consequences of your actions.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 08:43:28 PM by iFred »

jimjjnn

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 09:06:04 PM »
Fred,

I believe Tecker may have been in jest. I sure hope so .
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 09:06:04 PM by jimjjnn »

iFred

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2005, 01:24:43 AM »
Hi Jim, It's diffecult to tell with a statement like that, I suppose there are two ways to look at it since you now mention it. perhaps I need some more sleep, been workin tooo many hours... thanks for the heads up.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 01:24:43 AM by iFred »

picmacmillan

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 07:03:53 PM »
thanks fella's since i have posted, i have to make an adjustment to my blades....i used my 2nd set instead of my best ones, so i will put my good ones on , and see where it gets me..the ones on there arent sanded real well and are a bit thick at the tips...too much weight there i think....it's trying to turn, but there is some trees in the way from where the wind is coming also,...and the wind isn't quite strong enough...ifred suggested doing a minor adjustment to the blades (make them skinnier at the ends)and i have done that...i will put the good set of blades on tomorrow if possible..i think she is going to go well...she goes now, but i need it to take off eh! :D nice canadian saying eh?..take care...pickster
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 07:03:53 PM by picmacmillan »

farmerfrank

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2005, 09:01:07 PM »
Hello Pickster

I just started my project this week too and the blades are almost finished. While on the topic of finishing, how are you finishing your blades. Is a good coat of paint enough? Would there be any cons in applying a thin coat of fiberglass and resin,sanded down and painted. I always think the worst like freezing rain or hail which would probably dent the average blade. Any thoughts?

farmerfrank

« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 09:01:07 PM by farmerfrank »