Author Topic: Anyone familiar with this tail design?  (Read 1140 times)

zubbly

Anyone familiar with this tail design?
« on: September 09, 2005, 12:12:58 AM »
Hi everyone!

noticed this gen on ebay. the tail design caught my eye. looks as though it will furl in higher winds.

ebay item #5996428512

LINK To Auction

anyone know how effective it is and how to calculate dimentions for use on a genny?

thanks in advance for any replys

zubbly

« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 12:12:58 AM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

Re: Anyone familiar with this tail design?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 08:41:25 PM »
  For the most part it will only furl a certain amount of degrees then simply flies like a wing at that angle.  Reminds me of an airplane tail.  When you pull the stick back the nose goes up to match the angle and stays there.( or down )  I can't imagine it's much more than cosmetic.

Draw a straight line from the front of the tail to the tip of the angled area.  When that line is close to straight into the wind thats as far as it will go.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:41:25 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Warrior

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 08:43:41 PM »
HI Zubbly!

That tail looks like a furling system but it not. The tail vane seems to be spit in two and one half is pointed one way and the other opposite.

Look here:

http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/bladekitsEXTNMOV.html

Warrior

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:43:41 PM by Warrior »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

ADMIN

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:52:58 AM »
The tubine's output is rated at 66 mph! That's absurd, winds of 60+ are extremely rare. And it sounds terrifying to me. Better have a pretty stout tower, that kind of wind has the potential to bend the pipe stub just below the turbine and above the guy wires like a pretzel unless it furls -- which it does not. We've played with non-furling turbines too. You'd better be home to shut the thing off in high winds, or it'll be toast.

ADMIN
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 09:52:58 AM by ADMIN »