Author Topic: 7 footer flying  (Read 1362 times)

Bosman

7 footer flying
« on: January 26, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »
My first one is up. Murphy has it that we had no wind while I was at the site with the gen up so I will have to come back to you with specs. For now bits from the building story.

I have it up on a wooden pole with a swivel foot

The top and bottom are bolted with 16mm threaded rods and it is secured with 10mm wire ropes. 4 of which each is 13 foot away and 13 foot up

I have it so low since we are on the mountain and lightning is not to be called any more than I need to. We usually have lots of wind anyway, so I hope it will be ok.

I bench tested with a very rudimentary set-up, so the figures are less than enough, but at least I know it works.

I was unsure of the stator's ability not to flex and scratch so I over designed the stator brackets.

We are in a nature area and I wanted as soft a look as possible hence the tail design. Because I was deviating, I also added the small light flag (in the circle) to see wind direction. As she flies now, she is about 5-10% out of line, so I will enlarge the eagle.

The blades are 7 foot and made according to Ed's calculator from solid Marfin.

Perhaps others also use this but to me it was a bit of a new trick to use the bosch

by not holding it tightly but to let it run side to side in a rasping fashion rather than to merely cut guide slots. It worked fine!

Belt stander afterwards left what I am quite happy with.

As I say the figures will follow over time as I can test, but before I get to that I will also still have to finish the anemometer I have started building.

Thanks to all of you for the valuable help you gave me. Not only in direct answers provided to me but also in sharing the list where I read just about everything I could since last July when I discovered the list.

I would not be fair if I do not recognize my chief engineer on the project. He shared each little task with the same eager energy seen in the pic below. Thanks buddy! Your support really (really!) made it all that much more fun :-)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:26:19 PM by (unknown) »

projectpower

Re: 7 footer flying
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
Nice work mate
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:39:38 PM by projectpower »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:01:11 PM »
That tail will drive the little critters away from the mill area.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:01:11 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Bosman

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »
never thought of that! Positive to keep the small bird strikes down should that ever happen but I never thought of rodents & rabits. What radius are we speaking of? cant be that much can it?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:31:19 PM by Bosman »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:38:12 AM »
The furling design makes the windmill run a little crooked.

That's normal.  Nothing to worry about.

G-
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:38:12 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Bosman

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:38:06 PM »
Thanks Ghurd :-)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:38:06 PM by Bosman »

zeusmorg

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 02:39:39 AM »
 Also your wind flag is in the path of outgoing wind from the blades, so it will not record "true" wind direction..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:39:39 AM by zeusmorg »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »
As far as they can see it they'll stay under cover or move away if there's territory to be had.

Unfortunately for scaring off birds:  When not furled it's nearly edge-on to birds in danger of flying through the turbine.  Also it may ATTRACT other birds - either other predators defending territory or little birds doing a "mobbing" - to try to drive it off.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:36:47 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »