Author Topic: Help please  (Read 1389 times)

505garyc

Help please
« on: April 10, 2005, 03:43:37 AM »
Hi I have spent  lots of time trying to understand the procedures for carving blades.I want to build a ten foot mill double rotor, from the article on this site ,as if there was any other .Would someone please describe step by step for me ?The drawings help but bacause of poor resolution,I think, I cannot decipher them.Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary C.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 03:43:37 AM by (unknown) »

97fishmt

Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Hi gary, it isn't hard once you do a few.  Maybe start out small like a 3' or 4' on a tape drive motor, it is really part of the process.  Have you looked at Hugh's site?

I'm new to the board so I'm not sure how to post that link here but, go to other power's home page and then go to links. Hugh is were it all starts. I had a hard time at first looking at the drawings and going over and over them. You just have to dive in and go for it. I have carved them backwards more than once, they just turn counter clockwise, some times the wood will dictate that though, taking knots out or imperfections.  Now I have more than 1 going and it's coll to see some go in different directions. Don't get discouraged, just go for it.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 10:17:00 PM by 97fishmt »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 02:11:27 AM »
I will try to explain how to make the 10ft rotor

http://www.otherpower.com/blades.html

This is very simple and should be easy enough to follow from Dan's description.

Start with a board 5ft long, 8" wide and nominally 2" thick.

lay it on a bench and mark a line 3" from the back at the left hand end. Mark a point at the front 13"  from the right hand end. Draw a line between them  and cut along the line leaving a tapered board 3" wide at one end and running out to full width 13" from the other. The uncut edge is your leading edge, the cut edge is your trailing edge.

With the 3" tip on your left and the trailing edge towards you, measure down 0.15" at the left hand end from the top surface and mark this point on the trailing edge.

At the middle of the board measure down 0.6" from the top to make another mark on the trailing edge.

Draw a line through these points and it will run out to the bottom of the blade on the RHS.

You remove wood above this line at the trailing edge but don't remove anything from the leading edge, so you get a flat but angled driving face that is angled 3 deg at the tip, 6deg at the centre and goes full width at the root of the blade. Leave the 13" portion at the root uncut for mounting.

That completes the driving face that faces the wind.

Reduce the thickness to 3/8" at the tip, 3/4" at the centre of the blade and leave full thickness at the 13" point at the root. Keep this thickness proportion all the way along.

Now work on the back, mark a line 1/3 the way back from the leading edge all the way along. This is the thickest point and don't cut it.

Round the portion from the line to the leading edge and run out from the line to a very thin edge at the trailing edge, try to make a nice aerofoil shape with a rounded front edge, sharp trailing edge and max thickness 1/3 way back from the

leading edge.

With this and Dan's instructions I am sure you can do it.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 02:11:27 AM by Flux »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 07:42:59 AM »
Nice simple/short explanation Flux...

do you mind if I steal some of your words and stick them on that page about blades there?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 07:42:59 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 07:54:25 AM »
Carry on Dan, some folks follow pictures best, others seem happier with words.

I worked from drops rather than angles to make it easier to mark out.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 07:54:25 AM by Flux »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 08:01:46 AM »
Yes - it would be nice to have both ways there on that page.  Thankyou Flux!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 08:01:46 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

pyrocasto

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 09:23:56 AM »
From just Dan's I was still a little confused. Using both should make this farely easy. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 09:23:56 AM by pyrocasto »

505garyc

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 06:25:30 PM »
Hi , thanks for the comments thus far. Will try again good thing we have a fireplace to recycle mistakes. thanks GaryC
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 06:25:30 PM by 505garyc »