Author Topic: Caboose mounted Wincharger  (Read 730 times)

choochoo

Caboose mounted Wincharger
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:23:07 PM »
I am doing research for a publication regarding the history of a North Carolina railroad.  This railroad, along with several other shortlines, mounted a "Wincharger" device to the roofs of their cabooses to provide light for the crew.

Would anyone know of more detailed information on this particular type of Wincharger such as, wattage produced, purchase price, operating instructions?  I would also like to know if anyone might have a close-up photo of one of the devices to include in the publication.  Any additional information on the railroad related uses of the Wincharger would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 09:23:07 PM by (unknown) »

Gary D

Re: Caboose mounted Wincharger
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 05:20:54 PM »
Perhaps a link may help.... if you mean the wincharger brand... Gary D.

http://www.wincharger.com/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 05:20:54 PM by Gary D »

pyrocasto

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 05:29:54 PM »
As a resident of NC I'm sorry I dont know. I did a small search on it and nothing came up. It would be good to stop by a local train place(we dont exactly have stations) and ask.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 05:29:54 PM by pyrocasto »

choochoo

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 09:51:13 PM »
The railroad was the Durham and Southern which ran south out of its namesake to Dunn and Erwin, NC.  I am trying to find a close up of the devise and determine exactly what wattage it pulled in order to light a caboose.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 09:51:13 PM by choochoo »