Author Topic: Data for straight-bladed darrieus  (Read 786 times)

Moses

Data for straight-bladed darrieus
« on: April 18, 2005, 11:40:50 AM »
This is my first post, so apologies if I say anything dumb.

I'm a 4th year undergrad in Aeronautical Engineering at Durham in the UK. For my final year project I've been developing a computer code to predict the behaviour of straight-bladed darrieus-style turbines.

The results I get look pretty good - I even get the model to predict the odd sweeping start-up behaviour seen in these turbines. The only thing is, I haven't got any real data to compare my computer model to.

So I was kinda hoping that one of you guys had some data on a turbine - particularly speed wrt time, and blade position wrt time. It doesn't matter about the blade profile - the model can deal with that (although I'm using NACA 0012 at the mo, 0.15m chord, 2.0m span).

To get some actual data from a real machine would be great, and would help my project a lot.

Oh, and it goes without saying that if the code does match up with real data I'll post it on here (as an Excel sheet) for you to play with.

Maybe one day I'll even have a chance to build my own model...

Thanks in advance!

-Peter

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 11:40:50 AM by (unknown) »

finnsawyer

Re: Data for straight-bladed darrieus
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:19:40 AM »
Don't try to push too hard.  Keep something in reserve.  You've got the beginnings of a great thesis project for Graduate School, or if you chose, when you start work for some company.  In other words, why not wait and do the research yourself?  In fact, I'd like to find a graduate student to pursue some ideas I have.  It always works better when you have the resources of a university behind you.  Wind tunnel anyone?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 09:19:40 AM by finnsawyer »

Moses

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:30:12 PM »
You sound just like my supervisor ;-)

Unfortunately I don't really have the money to do post-grad work, and so any further research I do will be in my own time. Besides, after four years in university you want to start applying what you've learnt! Perhaps one day I'll go back to school, or work for a company nice enough to fund my home projects...

I'm looking forward to building a model straight-blader after my finals to test in my back yard. But until then I need some data for my report to prove my program actually works!

So any data...

-P

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 12:30:12 PM by Moses »

kitno455

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 03:29:18 PM »
ed (windstuffnow) has got a two bladed cycloturbine. search the board and check his website.

allan

« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 03:29:18 PM by kitno455 »