Author Topic: solid or laminated rotor stack  (Read 1171 times)

ZooT

solid or laminated rotor stack
« on: September 14, 2005, 06:46:33 PM »
In a radial generator design (motor conversion) are there any major disadvantages to using a solid rather than laminated rotor "stack"?

I've found two "almost" matching box fan motors and want to use both stator stacks with the either the coil laminates staggered or the magnets to avoid cogging.

I realize that I'm going to have to machine a new shaft and rotor stack and am wondering if I'm doing wrong by machining a solid rotor stack from a solid piece of steel bar stock.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 06:46:33 PM by (unknown) »

zubbly

Re: solid or laminated rotor stack
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 06:02:06 PM »
Hi ZooT!

machining a solid rotor stack sounds like a great idea. it should be somewhat more effective than the stock rotor with some of the aluminum bars still in place.

good luck with the project

zubbly

« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 06:02:06 PM by zubbly »

ZooT

Re: solid or laminated rotor stack
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 01:59:09 AM »
Hey there zubbly

I'm sandwiching two stator/coil stacks from an "almost" matching pair of burned out box fan motors with spacers between them and using both stator/coil stacks with a single rotor and then staggering the magnets 30 degrees from one end to the other.(6 magnets 6 coils per set, 360 degrees divided by 6=60 degrees, stagger second set 1/2 of 60 degrees = 30 degrees)

I'm hoping this will lessen cogging as when one end of the rotor is at "max cog" with the magnets lined up with the coil core laminates the other end would be at "min cog" with the magnets trying to pull themselves in line with the coil core laminates hopefully offsetting the amount of cogging from the "max" end via attraction from the "min" end.

I'm also hoping that using the two seperate stator/coil stacks will allow me to get a bit more wattage from the entire assembly.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 01:59:09 AM by ZooT »