Author Topic: Aeromag Lakota Wind Turbine  (Read 3857 times)

Warrior

Aeromag Lakota Wind Turbine
« on: September 20, 2005, 12:24:24 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Now that you're back home, and if you have the time, it would be cool if you post the results of your tests performed on your Lakota turbine.

I've been really interested (so are other board members) in getting real numbers from someone else other than the Mfg. Aeromag claims 900 watts at 28.8 m.p.h weighing only 35 Lbs!

Pictures of the alternator's guts would be nice if you have any.

Thanks,

Warrior

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 12:24:24 PM by (unknown) »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

Jerry

Re: Aeromag Lakota Wind Turbine
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 11:40:42 PM »
HI Warrior

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 11:40:42 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 11:57:41 PM »
Hi Warrior

I did a very quik wind test on the Lakota. Then I put it up on my store roof.

10 mph 5 amps, 15 mph 20 amps, 20 mph 30 amps, 25 mph 60 amps at 15 volts for 900 watts.

I didn't go any faster. I did this test in town at my store so testing was very limited. S-10 wind test truck VS city blocks?

I was very pleased with the results so I installed it on the store. That was last year and its been flying flawlessly ever since.

It dose seem to furl a littel early.  I'm goiny to adjust that. I'm using the Lakota blades on a motor conversion here at home and at 28.8 mph it does 2025 watts. No furling on this one. These blades are very quiet.

Lakota clames some of there customers are seeing 1800 watts from the genny. I think thats quite posable.

About cooling. This unit has a very heavy and nice fined aluminum heat sink body.

There adds show a cutaway view of the insides. That one thing  that atracted me to this unit. It looks like one of my motor conversions. 3 phase 8 poles. It has a slight bit of cogging but if you short the leads you almost need a pipe wrench to turn it.

I love it. Sure beets the crap out of a 403.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 11:57:41 PM by Jerry »

Warrior

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 05:19:02 AM »
Hi Jerry!

Many thanks for the reply. That Lakota genny seems like a good unit. The specs on the webpage claim 1 amp @ 9 mph for the 24 volt version. Should be 2 amps for the 12 volt. You're getting about 5 amps, so they're probably giving a conservative rating, which confirms users getting up to 1800 watts. Are they actually using a converted car or truck alt? It looks like one judging on the size...

Nothing beats your 1/2 HP conversion! Too bad those curved neos are gone. I wonder what it would take to get the same performance using other magnets.

Warrior

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 05:19:02 AM by Warrior »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 08:16:38 AM »
Have you seen this page?  I'm not finished exploring it all, but he's done thorough tests on other models, maybe yours, too.

http://www.wind-works.org/articles/small_turbines.html

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 08:16:38 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 09:17:41 PM »
Hi Warrior

I think the stator more resemles the AC motor stator. The magnets look like the old #29 curved NEOs.

They've kinda got the Zubbly aproach with many wires coming out of the house for impedance and wind speed matching.

Although I found the low speed conection to actully stall the alt to easy. The high speed conection gave best startup and power out.

It does not startup as low as they cliam. But by 10 mph it is charging. I would gues this verys between each production machine. Mine is a used unit that came from a coastal inviorment and had been droped from an unknown tower hight but it still works very well and this speaks to its machanical rugidness.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 09:17:41 PM by Jerry »