Author Topic: 1.5" x 1/8" Round neos, what to build?  (Read 1565 times)

nothing to lose

1.5" x 1/8" Round neos, what to build?
« on: September 24, 2005, 12:59:14 AM »
Long long ago I bought 24  1.5" x 1/8" round Neos and I think # 16 wire from wondermagnet here.

I have used the mags in various projects since I have had them but never built the wind gennie I actually bought them for.

Over time, way more than a year, wind genies have changed alot. We have gone from single vovlo rotor mills to trailer hub and steel plate daul rotor mills. From 8' blades to 17', 12" brake rotors up to 16" steel plates etc...

So now the question is, what should I build with these mags I have?

I haven't found the page on Other power yet which tells about the mill I was going to build using these to begin with. I think it was a daul rotor volvo mill. These mags and the wire I bought are what was used for that one. My wire is #16 I think or it may be #14, I don't have it here to look at it (it's at the rock house).

If I use 12 per mags per disk what would be recomemended for dia. 12" or larger?

How many windings for the coils if #14 wire or for #16? Also what size should I try for as the inside hole dia. and outer dia. for the coils?

I been trying to find the original gennie on otherpower I had bought these to build, but I have not found that one yet or it was changed perhaps since then? Due to limited net access these days (none where I live now) I'm not online much lattely so searching is slow and hard. Also I figure so much has changed that particalar gennie may not be the best choice today anyway, but I would get much of what I am asking about anyway.

The gennie when built will be primarily used for 12V charging.

Thanks for any sugestions.

Looks like I will be stuck indoors for awhile soon, bad weather comming here in next few days, not as bad as other places will be getting though. Anyway when that weather hits here all my outdoor projects will stop and I figure this will be a good time to build this mill indoors.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 12:59:14 AM by (unknown) »

Jerry

old stuff new ideas.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »
Hi Nothing to lose.

I've done the same thing. Been following this board for several years. Way back to the wood AX I think? Or even earlyer?

So I've collected round NEOs and lamination stuff but never found the time to build those gennys using those parts. By the time I get around to it new things have been developed.

So I've got some good parts for the old style stuff but just never found time to buildem.

So hope to incorperate some of the old parts with some of the newer ideas.

This is one of the reasons I've done so much AC Motor conversion. As Zubbly says most of the work has allready be done.

I want to and will eventually build disc alts but time is a very scarce and rare comotity.

A short list of some day hopefull projects that have allready been started or want to.

8 FT foam blades for my Fischer Paykil, 4", 6", 8", 10" 12" and 14" dual rotor disc alts, modify several more car alt for direct low wind speed, carve wood blades 8FT, 10FT, cut 8" dia. speaker magnets into pie pices for a ceramic dual rotor and on and on?

As time goes on more ides pop up. Taint fair? Some times I wish I understude what bordom means. But for that you need a real big lack of brain cells.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:50:00 PM by Jerry »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: old stuff new ideas.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 10:12:11 AM »
They are very thin, but you have a decent area. You should be able to make something quite useful. 14" discs would be reasonable. Make your coils no more than 1/4" thick and try to keep the gaps close.

Coil holes can be 1.5 " diameter or you can make them a bit longer and slightly narrower, perhaps 2 x1.25".

Make the outside such that 9 coils touch when centred over your magnets.

Probably need about 30 turns per coil and you will easily get #16 in. Probably can get #14 in.

Should suit a 7ft prop tsr about 6. If you are in a low wind area you may be better with 8ft tsr 7 and furl early.

You should do a mock up with a test coil to check that you can get 12v at a reasonable cut in speed.  You need to get about 3v per coil (ac) at cut in speed for 3 phase star connection.

Hope this is a starting point.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:12:11 AM by Flux »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 10:16:27 AM »
Should have been 2v ac per coil not 3.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:16:27 AM by Flux »

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 02:14:11 PM »
Tell me about it, all those projects, so little time.  I would think you could put together something useful, you would just have to keep the stator thin, not sure how thin.  You could stack magnets, but you would probably get less power than with a thin stator and a single layer of magnets on each rotor.  Hope you don't get too drenched by the remnants of Rita down there.  Say, did you get your mill up and running?  Rich
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 02:14:11 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

nothing to lose

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 07:10:29 PM »
Thanks Flux.

I think that sounds close to what I originally had bought these for also, needed a reminder I geuss.

Around 30 windings per coil sounds close, maybe the disks were 12" back then since it was still the volvo days :)

I get my batteries charged back up and find a steel plate or similar to use I'll give it a test on the lathe. That'll get me started.

I still have most of the coil winder I made back then, the winding disk for the coils is gone though or that could have been a help also in remembering what I had been planning back then.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:10:29 PM by nothing to lose »

nothing to lose

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 07:31:06 PM »
Jerry,

Bordom is having 12 projects to work on out in the middle of the woods, everything set up and ready to go. Then you discover your End Mills are missing and then every project seems to have a part that needs milled alittle! On a Sunday, no decent sized town nearby to buy new bits, etc....

I still have not found them, looked for about a week now off and on. I did finally get my lathe/mill over to the rock house anyway though.

Rich,

Had a little motor mill flying a bit, it worked some. Need better blades on it, maybe shorter too. I used an old set of Zubly style I had built for a different mill before, they worked ok on it. Could be they may have got damaged sitting around too?

Needed the truck the mill was mounted on last night and took it down. Was about 16' high I geuss on the truck. Should have put it back up when I got back with the truck but I didn't. So far a few hours last night around 3am till ? has been the only storm here, just some hard rain and winds, nothing major, just a normal thunder storm really.

Wish I had my mill back up then though, I ran the batteries out last night with kids playing till 3am, more stuff running than normal, no charging, started with maybe 75% batteries anyway (not a full charge).

That's why I'm home right now, putting a charge on them for a few hours to last the night tonight, full charge em tommorow.

Geuss if I don't find the endmills by Friday I'll drive up and buy a new set at Grizzley, I really need those right now. Got other things I need to if I go up there.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:31:06 PM by nothing to lose »