Author Topic: PM Alternators 101  (Read 824 times)

schillin

PM Alternators 101
« on: October 09, 2005, 08:33:34 PM »
PM Alternators 101

Where's the best place for a novice (newcomer) to get some basic info on PM Alternators?   I just bought my first genny, the Mallard with a GM alternator rebuilt with permanent magnets by www.mikeswindmillshop.com.    It's great fun, but I'm a dunce with electronic engineering.  In an attempt to learn about alternators, I've done some web searching, and I get a lot of sites describing regular (not PM) alternators for cars.

What's shunt breaking all about?  When I connect my alternator to a resistive load (a 55 W automotive headlight), it's great fun for my friends because the light gets brighter when the wind speed goes up.  But I've been told the alternator will deliver much more power if it's used to charge a 12 V battery.  I don't understand why this is so.  And in order to charge a battery, one needs a regulator system, and I'm confused because more than one type of system is available.  Which one to choose?

Is it possible to have the best of both worlds?  Maximum power delivery to a charging battery as well as a fun "gee-whiz" demo with lights that get brighter right in front of you as the propeller turns faster?

Or do  I need a degree in electrical engineering to do this?  I hope not.  This would take all the fun out of it.  Instead, where does the novice get some "PM Alternator 101" basics that won't blow me out of the water?

Thanks, experts.  The conversations on this website are terrific.

Chris Schilling

Midland, MI

« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 08:33:34 PM by (unknown) »

Experimental

Re: PM Alternators 101
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:54:50 PM »
   Hi Chris,

You have come to the right place, and if you click on "search the board", you will undoubtedly find all the answers you want !!

One really easy way to designing or building a PM gen -- would be to click on "otherpower" at the top of this page -- and buy Hugh Piggot,s book, for twenty bucks from them -- dosen,t get any easier than that !!  Bill H.....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 02:54:50 PM by Experimental »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: PM Alternators 101
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:56:43 PM »
This is a good page to start with

shows lots of ways to generate electricity.

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 07:56:43 PM by wooferhound »