Author Topic: Wheel Chair Motors  (Read 5774 times)

JohnnyF

Wheel Chair Motors
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:29:11 PM »
I had the opportunity and picked up two wheel chair motors for free.  Actually the whole chair.  Both motors work when 24 volts are applied but the controller was bad so I got the chair before it hit the trash.

Has anyone built a generator out of one of these motors or done any testing to see if they would work?  What little reading I have done has pointed to the possibility of using DC motors.

I am new to all this so I am not even a newbee yet, just a new.  Or maybe a bee.

Maybe I could do some unscientific testing myself.  I figure it already has 4 wheels so maybe I could strap a couple of head lamps to it, wire in an amp meter and ride it down a big hill!!!  Would make a great video if nothing else.  I might need this chair after my testing!

Thoughts and experiences are always appreciated.

John

Swartz Creek, MI

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 08:29:11 PM by (unknown) »

coldspot

Re: Wheel Chair Motors
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »
yes, DC motors will make power when turned, also will run when given power.

So far I'm only at the minimill point with DC motors myself.

You will need a Diode to stop the power from flowing back to the motor when wind isn't blowing, (would then be a fan without Diode) lol.

Search the board, "Ametek" will yeld good info!

Welcome and GOOD Luck, (PS: You know the wind will stop when you raise ANY mill, 3 Days)!!! LOL Serious!

Ps: Again, I am looking for simular motors for a E_Bike.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 02:01:23 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

asheets

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 02:45:53 PM »
I'd just fix the controller and resell the chair -- if you live in an area where you don't have to have a license to resell used medical gear, that is.  Probably worth a lot of $$$ -- or at least enough to get a few amteks or some neos...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 02:45:53 PM by asheets »

veewee77

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
Unfortunately, those motors will likely not work for a windmill.  They are a gear-reduction motor and it is a worm gear. It would take a LOT of torque to turn those motors under a load from the output shaft.

Also, if you take the gear assembly off, you will likely find that the output shaft bearing is in the gear assembly, meaning it will not exist when you take the gear assembly off.

Do as other have said. . . fix the chair and sell it (or just use it when you are feeling lazy) and buy something you can use.

Doug

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 09:36:00 PM by veewee77 »

FrankG

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 05:24:18 PM »
I've had a chance to play with a couple different Wheel Chair motors... They have such great potential for numerous projects I think the last thing they'd be suitable for is a wind Gen...

One set I have are swiss made gear reduction type and power a sand fluffer for foundry sand recovery, and the other runs a portable cement mixer... A third motor I have is a "Fortress" brand and is worm-gear reduced with a 1" square drive shaft... That unit is reserved for an electrified Cub-Cadet lawn tractor (spring-summer 2006).

Single seater go-cart for the kids, power wheel barrow, Winch drive, Electric Bike the list never stops...

« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 05:24:18 PM by FrankG »

velacreations

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 08:15:57 AM »
Why don't you guys use DC treadmill motors?  They are cheap and easy to use, and they even come with a hub ready to mount your blades.  For a small, 100 watt generator, look for the 260 VOLT DC treadmill motor at http://www.surpluscenter.com

Also, we have free plans for one of these model at http://www.velacreations.com

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 08:15:57 AM by velacreations »

stevesteve

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:40:19 PM »
Hey Abe,

Has that funky graphics been added to your homepage at http://www.velacreations.com/ by someone else.

I think you've been hacked >:-(

I do like the treadmill genny. V nice and simple.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:40:19 PM by stevesteve »

JohnnyF

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 01:57:33 PM »
Abe:

Thanks for the info and the links to Surplus Center and your web site.  The 100 watt wind generator is exactly what I wanted to try to get started!  Just want to charge 6 - 10 12v batteries and then use them for lighting and other light use in the garage.  Great project for getting started.

Any suggestions out there for where to buy electronic stuff like small ammeters, inline fuses, charge controllers and blocking diodes?

I really appreciate everyones input and the wealth of knowledge on this site.  Hopefully one day this spring I will be posting some pictures of my first project.

John

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:57:33 PM by JohnnyF »

testingwind

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »
Well I know it is an old post,but I just read it and have to leave a comment about it.All of you who said the wheel chair motor would not work as a windmill power plant well YOU ARE WAY WRONG!It made an awesome one for me.It was made from a Invacare wheel chail.I got two motors out of one chair.The bearings and all are inside the motor casing,so ripping the reduction gears off is no problem.In fact I was able to use some of those gears to add a little more rpms to the whole assembly.Just by switching the gears inside the reduction hosing on the shafts mounted inside the box.I ended up getting about 500 to 600 rpms out of a 15 mph wind that will produce about 400 watts of free power.15 mph winds is a calm day up here,and when the Santa Anna Winds start to push through I am pushing close to a 1000 watts.I have two windmills that I have made from the same wheel chair and on good nights I can run just off the mills with no power usage from the electric company(I even run around and leave all my lights on just because I can)My electric bill is about on average $15 bucks a month.Most people hate to see that electric bill come,but not me I LOVE to see it come.So as far as wheel chairs not making good windmills that is a bunch of garbage!They make some of the best ones.My windmills produce power when there is only 1 to 2 mph winds.They are excellent for windmills.The only bad thing I can see is the fact that they do run motor brushes that will ware out some time,but they cost about $3.50 for a new set,and have built mills in such a way that they can be changed in a matter of 10 min's time.For 2 free wind mills that is pretty dang good.

One more thing for all of you building your own windmills out there try using a clutch drive off a chainsaw and mounting it on you shaft and weld the outer casing to your frame. Works like a brake instead of starting the chain when you rev the engine it will brake the windmill when it goes to fast(works great).with the winds up hear hitting 60 to 70 mph for days and days I really needed that brake assembly to work and not fail,and not much is stronger that a chainsaw clutch(maybe a snowmobile clutch)that will come on with the next generation of windmills I build!

WORK HARD FOR FREE POWER....PEACE EVERYBODY
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:02:39 PM by testingwind »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:45:23 AM »
OK.  How about it gets revised to "Common" wheel chair motors are not so good.

Be nice to see a post of the system, with some numbers on output at 1 and 2 MPH winds.

G-

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:45:23 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

spinningmagnets

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
Please post the make/model of motor that you have ended up being happy with.

Plus, some pics would be wonderful, lots of pics!

Some measured data Is important, actual wind speed and watts generated, etc...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:02:53 PM by spinningmagnets »