Author Topic: Power from Ornamental style windmill  (Read 1218 times)

howzbayou

Power from Ornamental style windmill
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:49:03 PM »
There are these 12ft aluminum erector set style windmills that I've checked out, it seems like one could put coils and magnets in them and get some power, plus they are cheap.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 11:49:03 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Power from Ornamental style windmill
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 06:02:20 PM »
There have been several posted on the site, and a few others I am aware of. They all worked to some extent. All had room for improvement.  

The slow speed and sloppy bearings cause headaches.

Single phase can make a resonant 'sound' in the blades that defies discription!

Search (at the bottom) comments and stories containg 'garden' should get a few, but they will be far down the list.  Maybe search comments for '357' or 'magnum' if you get real board (long list before the proper post).

Fun just the same.

G-

« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 06:02:20 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 07:55:04 PM by wooferhound »

IntegEner

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 08:54:30 PM »
Try www.integener.com to see something that uses the harbor freight tower but with some actual aluminum blades on it in place of the 12 bladed farm style rotor, that we have removed. We here have had the same experiences with these, the fun when the LEDs lit up for the first time and all the rest of it!

This is all exactly what we have seen.

Anthony C.

www.integener.com

« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:54:30 PM by IntegEner »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 09:46:15 AM »
Thats the one!  Good find Woof.  I looked a long time for that. (38sp and 357mag are the same diameter)

It had a lot of problems, but the solutions are all there.

A 3 phase is better.

And when you figure out how many turns you think you need... double it.

G-

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 09:46:15 AM by ghurd »

howzbayou

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 10:45:30 AM »
There's a company that makes the windmills to around 22ft tall, I figured maybe a 12 foot one would be the one to get, maybe even two of the 8ft ones cause they are really cheap!.

I'm a novice but I think I understand the principles, a tower, a turbine, and a DC current generator. Obviously replacing the blades is an important start.

MY BIGGEST QUESTION IS...Is there a simple turnkey efficient alternator/generator/motor that would make this a simple proposition to set up? Something tried and true and durable and would be easy to install.

The place where I would use it has VERY good wind conditions. A dry lake bed in Northern Nevada. Lots of dust storms, etc.

My primary need is to charge, or help charge (with solar, etc.) a bank of 12volt batteries that will be used for an electric bicycle.

The units would really only be set up for about two weeks, and simplicity of setup is key because I've got to haul all the stuff up in a VW Campervan!

Thanks, this is an AWESOME site, and very inspiring!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 10:45:30 AM by howzbayou »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 10:52:21 AM »
Try a search for GE ECM. Almost turn-key, but takes some looking to find a used one.

G-
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 10:52:21 AM by ghurd »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 02:17:14 PM »
I remember a fishing camp my dad took us to. there was a small windmill on the dock that was connected too a string of lights on the pier . The string was in series and as the wind kicked up the string got brighter . I can still see those lights come to mind swinging and getting brighter as the wind gusted across the lake .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 02:17:14 PM by tecker »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 05:54:44 PM »
I searched on "Ornamental". Came up at the top . . .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:54:44 PM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 06:01:14 PM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 06:01:14 PM by wooferhound »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Ornamental style TSR changes?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 10:06:28 AM »
Would the TSR be improved if the blade were twisted some or would that just screw up the works?  I'm running low on new blade assemblies.

G-
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 10:06:28 AM by ghurd »

nothing to lose

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 07:29:19 PM »
Those blades are basically junk of course, seen alot of them that have slung apart in higher winds, no furling, no loads, just free spinning into the winds on bearings at all times. And at head level also, gee and we worry about our real ones.

Anyway I also wondered if the bearing was knocked out of the hub then the blades mounted to a small DC motor if it would make any power that way. I think it would. It may not be the best thing but geuss what I am flying now and it makes a little power :)

I have a treadmill type DC motor on a small conduit about 4' above a trailer house roof. The blades are nothing more than the fan from probably an old air airconditionare or similar.

Though it's nothing I would plan to use to power my house, this little thing has made some power as crappy as it is. 4 big fat flat blades at the wrong angle. Just something  I did in about an hour total. I have seen about 30 or so open volts, and with a 12V car fan (6" cigarette lighter plug type) for a load it's spun up the fan pretty fast. I charged a 7amp hr badly discharged SLA up with it though it took some time to do.

One of the problems is it does not seek the wind very well, when the wind hits it good the blades grab it and spin it up, but then it backs off when the wind changes a little. Takes a harder gust to turn it into the wind. Also it is turbulent winds, not high enough over the trailer and trees to near it.

If a set of those harbor freight type wind mill blades would spin this motor half as fast as I have seen them free spin then it would make some power, along with seeking the wind better and clean flowing air.

I had thought about putting a bearing up there and bending the blades to a better angle but I have larger project going. I just stuck that up there because it was an empty space at the time that needed something turning in it. I actually did not expect any power from it at all.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:29:19 PM by nothing to lose »