Author Topic: WOOD BLADES  (Read 1384 times)

ian

WOOD BLADES
« on: January 27, 2006, 09:57:08 PM »
I UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN CHOOSING WOOD FOR TURBINE BLADES, IT ALL HAS TO DO WITH STRENGTH TO WEIGHT RATIO AND THAT THE LIGHTER THE WOOD THE BETTER PERFORMANCE. WESTERN RED CEDAR HAS GRAIN THAT IS AS STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW, RESISTANT TO MOISTURE AND INSECTS (DUE TO ITS HIGH OIL CONTENT) AND, AS LIGHT WOODS GO, IS FAIRLY STRONG....OR HAVE I GOT IT WRONG?

WE ARE LUCKY TO BE LIVING NEAR THE WOOD SOURCE, JUST OUTSIDE OF OTTAWA, CANADA, THAT HAS ALL MANNER OF WOODS, FROM THE MUNDANE TO THE EXOTIC.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP WITH THIS, IAN

PLEASE PLEASE, DO NOT POST IN ALL CAPS.
It is rude.

Editor

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 09:57:08 PM by (unknown) »

zubbly

Re: WOOD BLADES
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 03:15:20 PM »
hi Ian!

you got it right!

i recently made a 2 meter set from red cedar.  turned out lovely and real nice to carve.

go for it!  :)

have fun,  zubbly.

p.s.  where are you located?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 03:15:20 PM by zubbly »

zubbly

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 03:19:43 PM »
Ian.

you can view the cedar blades i recently made on pages 22 and 23 of the IRC gallery.

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/zubbly?page=22

zubbly

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 03:19:43 PM by zubbly »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 06:43:56 PM »
You must be new to the internet. Posting in all capital letters is hard to read and considered as SHOUTING on message forums. If you post in all Lower case letters you will be better received.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 06:43:56 PM by wooferhound »

ian

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 10:10:58 AM »
Good morning

Forcefield is the very first forum that I have ever taken part in; I didn't know that using capitals is 'shouting.' Thanks for the tip.

Ian

« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 10:10:58 AM by ian »

picmacmillan

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:27:16 AM »
hi ian..i have made blades from pine and cedar, and spruce(from home depot)...i like the cedar as it is real light and easy to cut as was stated above...if i was to do it again, i would suggest you make an extra blade, in case something happens(and it will)...that way you have always 3 blades that weigh close to the same...once the water comes out of the wood, it becomes lighter, so if you broke a blade, and made a new one, then chances are, it will be much heavier than the others and will create a balance problem...if you are in ontario, caada, i can hook you up with some blade material as i have a wood mill to make boards and i am in the log home business, and always have lots of wood on hand...oh, and it is free if you are close by :)...pickster...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:27:16 AM by picmacmillan »