Author Topic: Ed Lenz 500 watt kit  (Read 1321 times)

Warrior

Ed Lenz 500 watt kit
« on: February 22, 2006, 06:07:15 PM »
Hi Ed!

I am considering building something similar to you 500 watt kit, dual 8" rotors 12/9 arrangement.

My consern is weight. How much does the generator in the 500 watt kit weigh?

The magnets I'll use are round neo 1.20" x 3/16". Will have to make a test coil though...

Sure I'll get less power, but I've been flying an induction conversion for the past months, seen peaks of 25 amps @ 12 volts but I think it's time to move on.

It's on top of my shop's roof Jerry style, close to the house and way too much turbulence.

It is an extremely heavy unit, 2 meter prop and chain drive to the genny, must weigh about 45 lbs. Don't feel too safe putting that thing on a tall tower.

We get 15-20 mph winds here very often.

Thanks,

Warrior

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 06:07:15 PM by (unknown) »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

windstuffnow

Re: Ed Lenz 500 watt kit
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 01:09:02 PM »
  It weighs 37 lbs to ship the parts, I think it weighs in at around 40-45 lbs completed so there isn't much difference in weight over your conversion.  The weight could be reduced quite a bit by using 4 arms instead of a complete disc as the stator backing, that's about the only reduction in weight that I would cut corners on, the rest is structural.   You'd save about 5-6 lbs over the solid disc.  Still looking at around 40 lbs which is actually quite lite for a basic alternator.   As long as the tower is built and supported correctly that weight is very small in comparison to the side loads it will see.  

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 01:09:02 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed