Author Topic: 10' wind generator question  (Read 1003 times)

amiklic1

10' wind generator question
« on: February 24, 2006, 03:46:39 PM »
I am a bit confused about coil windings in two 12V machines DanF built before.

I am looking to start similar project, but there is much confusion in different pages about 10' machines.  Can't collect all the data, every machine is so different. But I'll handle that, I guess, because I start to write down all the data available from different pages, so I'll probably cath it at the end. Just need some time. What confused me most was about the coil windings. Here are two examples, both for 12V 10' generators, with different coils.

Page1: www.otherpower.com/davesmill.html

His system is 12 volts, so were building the machine for that., ...

and: The coils are made up of 65 windings of AWG 14 wire... and

But it seems to be hitting cut in voltage (12 Volts) perhaps a bit below 100 rpm

At the other page:

http://www.otherpower.com/timsturbine.html

It says:

This is a 12 Volt machine, and each coil is wound up with 34 windings of 2 strands of AWG 14 wire.

The alternator came out pretty nicely with a cutin speed of exactly 150 rpm (it's producing 12.5VDC on the DC side of the rectifiers at 150 rpm)

I know Tim's turbine is the last evolution of the 10' turbines. Is it the right way to go? I got 2x1x0.5" magnets, and Dave's machine is built with different ones.

Should I use the plans for Tim's stator? I think so, but need advice.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 03:46:39 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: 10' wind generator question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 08:58:27 AM »
The difference in windings between Daves - and Tims, is basicly:

1. - Daves and some of the earlier ones had much bigger magnets and as it turned out they all stalled 10' blades badly except for daves, which works well because its a 12V machine with a very long/resistive line.  So they all have bigger blades on them now and they work well.
  2. - Daves, and a couple others that we made right after that were wired in Delta.  It's better to wire in star - which means you need fewer windings and heavier wire.

This page describes how we'd make the stator and wind the coils for a 10' machine using the magnets you have.  Normally I use slightly larger magnets on 12V machines because generally there's more line loss and more rectifier loss:

http://www.otherpower.com/stator.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:58:27 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Scotth

Re: 10' wind generator question
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »
I built my 10'turbine using 35 turns of #14,wired in star and it works perfectly.I followed the plans for Tim's machine to the word,and as I said,it works exactly as it should.Have fun.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:31:34 AM by Scotth »