Author Topic: #24 guage wire for coils  (Read 2095 times)

ruddycrazy

#24 guage wire for coils
« on: June 09, 2006, 04:26:36 AM »
Hiya guy's an gal's,

On finding a metal tin I got off my late father I found 2 3 phase transformers which thru transport were damaged. Anyway I've managed to strip the magnet wire from 1 transformer and I ended up with 5 peices of 15 guage wire but only around 2-3 mertres long. Also I got around a pound and a half of .56mm or #24 guage wire. Now scanning thru the forum for ages hasn't revealed any usefull links or stories on winding coils ( or maybe my search techniques suck.) So can someone either point me to some good threads on winding coils using the thinner wire or make a few suggestions ie:  Don't bother your wasting your time with thin wire, suggest for the amount of turns what voltage I could expect. etc. Hopefully this wire will be suitable as the price was the best part.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 04:26:36 AM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: #24 guage wire for coils
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:59:31 PM »
Hi Bryan, in my opinion the only way to predict the output of a machine is to wind a test coil and find out..

what size are your magnets?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 10:59:31 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Waterfront

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 05:02:57 AM »
If you wind your coils with some strands «in hand» (in parallel) you can simulate a bigger sized wire, whichever one you want. Every time you do 2 in hand, it drops the size by 3 AWG if I'm not mistaken.

So 2 in hand would be #21, and 4 in hand would be #18. Might be a bit more of a hassle ton wind, but some 48V models use close to #18. You could get a project started with that, if that's what you want...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 05:02:57 AM by Waterfront »

solarengineer

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 07:01:08 AM »
Now if you read my post a few back you will know heavy guage wire i'm having trouble winding. BUT I have wound over a hundred with smaller wire so my input may be of use.

If you have never built an alternator before I would suggest starting small(meaning cheap to make) If you have access to neodynium magnets they are the best this list provider carries them.

you would want to start with say a small dual rotor(meaning 2 plates with magnets not just one)

each rotor would have 12 of these magnets alternating north and south poles arond the circle. as far as magnet size i would start with 3/4 x 1/4 inch ones.. they are small and wont give you much power but they will tell you if you made the alternator right by giving proper output for size.

so you have 12 magnets and a circle with 360 degrees..... devide 360 by 12 and you get 30 degrees.... so you need to lay out with a protractor lines radiating from the center of the circle to the outer edge every 30 degrees. so you will have 12 total.

if you use 3/4 inch round magnets then the inner diameter of your coils should be 3/4 of an inch.. most of the time we all make it slightly smaller so we can add an extra 10 or 20 turns in there.

I would make 2 of the rotors i spoke of above... REMEMBER!!!! when placing your magnets you want N S N S N S ect...... put both of your plates together and put an alignment mark on both where the first magnet goes... because on one plate that magnets face pointing out will be a N - and on the other plate the magnet face pointing out has to be S so they attract. once you lay the first magnet the rest will follow as you alternate..... dont worry about actual north and south... just make sure whatever you place down as the first magnet, that the magnet on the opposite rotor is attracted to it.

once all magnets are placed you can hold another magnet in your hand and should feel an attraction on one and a repulsion on the next and so on.... this only works with small   magnets!!!!!! NEVER TRY THAT WITH LARGER ONES OR OUCH!!!

now that you have both rotors assembled, make a test coil with a 3/4 or slightly smaller center and the outer diameter should be no more than 1 1/2 inches(an inch and a half) I got in 150 turns on mine i believe at 24 guage.

make 9 coils...

now 360 degrees devided by 9 is 40 degrees... so you need to place the coils at 40 degree spacing so that the magnets will sweep over the center hole of the coils.

thats all there is too it... its easy by the time you make one generator.

the other thing is to make a mould to hold your coils in fiberglass resin and your stator should be no more than 1/4 inch thick. because thats the thickness of your magnets.

good luck and have fun!!!!!

Jamie

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 07:01:08 AM by solarengineer »

solarengineer

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 07:07:30 AM »
i said make a test coil then i said make 9.... you could make a test coil and see what the output will be then you could redetermin the number of turns...

I said 150 but thats not based on anything.. i wound my coils till i got the right size.. i only wanted to learn how to correctly make an alternator at that stage.. i didnt care much about the output... only the spacing and proper operation.. then i went ahead and started doubling wires ect....

hope this helps..

jamie

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 07:07:30 AM by solarengineer »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:36:06 AM »
Take the time to look closely at the wire when you unwind the transformer the lacquer come off in many cases . a meter probe to run along the wire works . I use a three coats of urethane (spar) probably not the best but it hold up well I also dip the finished coil in same .
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 07:36:06 AM by tecker »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 01:40:14 PM »
Three phase transformers...

How were they damaged?  If the one you didn't tear apart is OK and of the right ratings you might use it for a step-down transformer at your battery shack.  That would let you wind your genny for a high voltage and save on power loss and wiring costs for the wiring runs down the mill and to the shack.  (Then you might avoid winding "N-in-hand" with your wire, too...)

Were they "pole pig"s - power line transformers full of an oily fluid?  If so you may have a hazardous condition.

In the early days those were filled with oil.  Then they switched to PCB - because it insulated better and put out fires if the transformer arced.  PCB was deployed for decades (and also use for fire retardant treatment on wood and such) before they found out it was HORRIBLY carcinogenic and terratogenic.  (That's what accidentally got mixed into the cattle feed in Michigan a couple decades back, when somebody at a chemical plant filled a nutritional supliment order with a similarly named fire retardant by mistake.  Wrecked the beef industry there for years.  Mass graves for whole herds - that had to be dug up again and hauled to toxic waste disposal sites.)

They switched to something else.  But there were a LOT of transformers out there.

If you have some they should be carefully disposed of, along with anything you spilled the oil on when you opened one.  (When one leaks they dig up the dirt around the pole and haul it to a hazardous waste dump.)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 01:40:14 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 06:49:17 PM »
These Transformers aren't based in oil or anything like it, I'd say they were made for the coal mining industry as thats where my dad worked. Basically the transformer was bound using tape and not laquar so it un-wound quite easily. Once I got the #15 guage wire off I cut the transformer in 1/2 so I could unwind the #24 guage wire easily. As I unwound the wire I was testing with a continuity meter to see if the emanel was broken but after using the meter and a visual inspection all was well. Untill I get some neo's I'm going to wait on winding any coils and I'm looking at using 3/4x1/4 round neo's so until they arrive I'm at a stand still. I just got my tape drive genny backup and now I'm waiting for some wind to check the output but Murphy is here again 2 days after the genny went up and still no wind.

Cheers Bryan :)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 06:49:17 PM by ruddycrazy »