Author Topic: Why cover the potting when using epoxy?  (Read 807 times)

Grant MacLeod

Why cover the potting when using epoxy?
« on: September 07, 2006, 06:19:56 PM »
When I built my boat a few years ago I coated the plywood with epoxy.  One thing I noticed when using this material is that it is very self leveling and dries very smooth.  If I use this when potting my stator coils would it be possible to get away without covering the top of the mold?  It would be one less thing to take apart after.  I am about ready to pot my first ever stator and being lazy by nature don't want to do any more work then is necessary  :)

Thanks

Grant MacLeod

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:19:56 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Why cover the potting when using epoxy?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:32:15 PM »
Unless you pre-form the coils and hold them to thickness you will end up with a thicker stator than if you compress them with a lid on the mould.

Smoothness and beauty is irrelevant for the stator, if you can hold the coils in position and to thickness there is no reason to have any lid to the mould.

flux

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 12:32:15 PM by Flux »

Grant MacLeod

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 12:44:07 PM »
Interesting.  The coils are taped of course but I never considered thickness.  Once again you guys have all the answers!  Thanks Flux

Grant

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 12:44:07 PM by Grant MacLeod »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:35:43 PM »
Flux is correct.

I have coils that spring to about 3/4" and if I use a lid and enough compresion I can probably squish these coils to near 1/2" 5/8" or so. A thinner stator with the same wire is better than a thicker stator. A lid helps do this squashing of coils.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:35:43 PM by nothing to lose »