Author Topic: Hugh's 5 phase  (Read 1520 times)

Warrior

Hugh's 5 phase
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:32:01 PM »
I have been studing Hugh's 5 phase design from his booklet. I'm having a hard time completely understanding how his 5 phase generator works.

The design has 10 coils and 12 magnetes. All coil starts are connected to a common point or star. He then takes a finish from a pair of coils and connects these to a rectifier (2 coils in parallel make up each phase).

Per his instructions, you can connect any two output wires to the rectifiers.

Now my dilema.

Will it be the same to connect coils 1 & 6 to the bridge rectifier, which will be in phase at one point

As compared to using coils 1 & 2. They don't seem to be in phase at any time with the magnet spacing used, but according to the design, any two wires can be connected to the a/c terminals on the rectifier

Warrior (scratching head)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 09:32:01 PM by (unknown) »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Hugh's 5 phase
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 04:29:18 PM »
You can connect any coil wire to any diode ac connection.

The design is actually parallel 5 phase and there are no series coils to cause confusion. This total ease of connection is one of its main virtues for people with limited experience.

All the diode ac connections are just a junction at the centre point of 2 diodes, one to the dc+ and one to the dc -   It makes absolutely no difference which ac connections you use.

5 phase does have a strange characteristic that if you measure the volts between leads you find 2 voltages with significantly different ac voltage. The diodes sort this out so that the conduction is always to the next highest voltage irrespective of where you connect the leads.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 04:29:18 PM by Flux »

Warrior

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 04:54:55 PM »
Hi Flux, thanks for the explanation but I'm still a little lost. I do get the parallel 5 phase part though, I also understand that you can use either AC terminal on the bridge. But using opposite coils seems better than two side by side coils.

Quoting his booklet "You will connect each wire from the stator winding to an AC terminal on the rectifier. It does not matter which wire connects the which AC terminal - they are all the same.

He doesn't mention anything about numbering the leads. I understand that any two coil ends can connect to one of the rectifiers.

Lets say I happen to use 2 side by side coils, won't they be at different voltages as compared to two opposing coils were the magnets are approaching & leaving each coil at the same time?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 04:54:55 PM by Warrior »

windstuffnow

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 05:08:59 PM »
  Warrior,

Since the rectifiers are all wired in parallel it really doesn't matter.   The DC output will be sort of an average of all the coils at any given time in rotation.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:08:59 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 05:09:11 PM »
At any instant 2 leads will be at the same voltage and in phase, the rest will be all over the place.

It is bad enough trying to explain what happens in a 3 phase bridge rectifier, it is even worse trying to think in 5 phase.

Pleas believe me (and Hugh) that the rectifier will sort it all out(and without a headache).

If you must try to understand the conduction pattern of a 5 phase rectifier you will be hard pushed to find information.

At any instant a pair of leads will conduct current. As the next highest voltage comes up, the diodes will swap to another lead, next time the other lead will swap and so on. The strings of the diode bridge are absolutely symmetrical, it matters not one iota which leads you connect to which diode string.

Even if you made it 10 phase and swapped half the coil starts and finishes the rectifier would sort it out as long as you reversed the starts of diametrically opposite coils.

flux

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:09:11 PM by Flux »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 06:49:58 PM »
When you look at the magnet placment it all comes in to focus . The allinment of the magnets is a key to deveoping the five phase out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:49:58 PM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 06:54:04 PM »
 develope hmmm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:54:04 PM by tecker »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 07:26:56 PM »
Warrior,

I think you're concerned about out of phase coils being in parallel and somehow shorting something out.  This would only be true if the coils were DIRECTLY connected in parallel (before the rectifiers).  In fact they aren't.

What Hugh is talking about is each coil goes to its own diode connection "alone" (10 coils, each with its own diode pair).  You have two 5-phase DC output generators which are "then" wired in parallel.  If you draw out the schematic of the circuit you'll see that the diodes prevent any current from "backflowing" into the wrong coil.

Hope this helps

rp

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:26:56 PM by RP »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 07:45:05 PM »
Well maybe that's not too clear .The mags are all going to be out of phase by 90degrees or less when the coils bonded ( stared)with the windings in the same direction.That means the flux can rock from the center to the outside through a short connom path rather than taking the load through long variable (180) paths through the stator .It is dedicated to dc though pushing out instead of push pulling in and out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:45:05 PM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 07:30:01 AM »
If you did have the magnet alignment set to exactly 90 degrees (as if compares to the coil) if would make a good single phase ac out. 8 to 20 volts with good power in a small scale
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 07:30:01 AM by tecker »

Warrior

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 02:00:45 PM »
Hi guys. Well it's been going back and forth in my head from last night till today and now I finally got it (at last).

Thanks for all your responses.

Good Winds and Sun,

Warrior

« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 02:00:45 PM by Warrior »