Author Topic: Blade attachment Q for RogerAS  (Read 1787 times)

zap

• There's an app for that
Blade attachment Q for RogerAS
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:41:41 AM »
Roger, I've been reading your comments on the Floppy Stepper motor Windmill post and wanted to ask how you (and others) manage to connect such small, short shafts to large fans AND have them stay attached for any length of time.

Most of my steppers have such short and thin shafts that, having a carpentry background, my first inkling is to pound them in to the fan with a hammer.  After all, most of them are not much bigger around than a nail.  Obviously this is a poor approach.

Can you (and anyone else for that matter) post how you attach your blades to your steppers?  Pics would be welcome also.

TIA

zap

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 02:41:41 AM by (unknown) »

RogerAS

Re: Blade attachment Q for RogerAS
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 08:19:50 PM »
Zap,

Good question. This was an issue for me at first, but there' a simple solution.

Most of the steppers I have come from floppy drive head position motors. Already attached to these is a small aluminum, sometimes brass, "collar" about .75" diameter. Most are held on with a set screw. Other motors have a small gear pressed on the shaft. If they don't have something like this I JB weld a nut about the same size as the shaft diameter on there, then maybe a little bigger flat washer.

I mate the existing "collar" to a portion of the motor that spins past the tape in a VCR. Ususally the bearing holding portion. Sometimes these bright aluminum motors have just about the perfect sized hole to match the "collar". This is not the motor that actually moves the tape. I roughen both parts with sandpaper and clean with acetone then JB weld the two together. I have made a little jig to hold both parts stationary and aligned until the epoxy sets out of wood. It isn't super accurate but it beats holding the parts together wth duct tape, which I tried. :-)

A little misalignment isn't a deal killer, a bunch is.

The box fan blades are the attached to the VCR motor part with either long sheetrock screws or 3/16" bolts. Centering the VCR part and the plastic fan blade isn't too tough, as most of the fan blades have a reinforcing rib a little bigger then the VCR part. Again perfection isn't required as a little wobble doesn't seem to bother the motors too much.

Keeping the rain out was an issue for me, as the motors berings are not sealed good at all. I now strech a hunk of inner tube over the motor, which is plumbers taped to a 2X via sheetrock screws, and squirt a gob of lightweight grease in there. I've been thinking of using a soup can or soda can to make a nacell for the motors as I discovered the inner tube seems to rot from exposure to sunlight after a while. Maybe a coat of paint would slow that rot.

When the blade is secured to the motor I afix them to a 2X. Care must be take to assure the box fan blade doesn't touch the 2X. A full width 2X4 is usually too wide. I drill a hole a little bigger than the PVC pipe I use for a pivot, that being .75", and shoot two sheetrock screws from the inside of the pipe into the 2X, and then slip that into a 1" PVC mast. I just radiator hose clamp the mast to a steel "T" post. Most of the tails are hunks of 1/4 plywood, but as soon as the upcoming election is over I'm getting a pile of those corrigated 18X20 inch yard signs for that.

Sorry, but no digital camera yet. Maybe Santa is reading this! I'll try to answer any other question as graphically as possible.

Hope this helps,

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:19:50 PM by RogerAS »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 01:20:59 PM »
Thanks Roger, it did help.

The VCR part threw for a bit but I think you're talking about the drum where the heads reside.  I think I have a good mental picture of it now... plus 2x's, sheetrock screws, and PVC are right up my alley!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:20:59 PM by zap »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 04:27:21 PM »
In the past I have attached the blades via set screws and via a clamping connector.  

This is an example of a set screw type setup.  The shaft coupler was made of half inch aluminum round stock, with a .185" hole in the center to couple to a NEMA17 stepper motor.  

I made this mount from one and a half inch by two inch bar stock, and is for a larger Ametek motor.  A hole is drilled for the motor shaft and then a slit is cut across the aluminum.  Two holes are placed and to clamp the shaft, one half is drilled out a bit larger and the other is tapped, alowing the shaft to be securely clamped.  I have more confidence in this type of mount than in set screws although I would prefer that the disks were aluminum instead of wood and bolted through the blades.  Using smaller bar stock it could easily be adapted to a smaller motor.

Just having fun, Rich Hagen

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:27:21 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

RogerAS

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:16:20 AM »
Rich,

Simple, direct and sweet! I can see a scaled back version for a small stepper!  I have an Amtek® 40V. I've never seen it spin, as I have been sortta stumped about the keyless/nonthreaded/smooth 5/8" dia shaft. :( Not having a machine shop, or even a shop for that matter, makes milling metal problematic at best and a source of blood, pain, sweat, tears an frustration. ;) Would you build these hardware parts, minus bolts etc for compensation?

Thanks ! :)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:16:20 AM by RogerAS »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 09:21:21 AM »
"my first inkling is to pound them in to the fan with a hammer"

I flew one for 6(?) months like that. Never failed.

Flew several for a couple months each. 0 failures.

I would not do it that way if I considered it important, and mine were not.

A stepper with a pulley or wheel can have the wheel drilled and screwed the the 'hub'.

Not sure how well it shows. 2 holes in the stepper wheel, wood screwed to the OSB.  Handled 50MPH winds.

G-

« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 09:21:21 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

richhagen

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 09:39:06 AM »
Roger, just send me your snail-mail address.  I should be able to make one for you without much difficulty.  Rich
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 09:39:06 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

RogerAS

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 07:10:48 AM »
Ghurd,

EXCELENT

(ala Mongomery Burns)

Questions;

1. What is that shiny thing, a carriage bolt head?
  2. Are these resistors, and if so why?
  3. Nice case seal!
  4. Epoxy at metal to wood joint?
  5. Red wire not used? AC at this point?
  6. Board thickness?
  7. Blade info please. 4 Blade as seen?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 07:10:48 AM by RogerAS »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 09:11:45 AM »
Excelent?  Not the word I would have used, but thanks.

Man, you have good eyes.

1. Yes. 'Yaw bearing'. 1 tight nut, 2nd nut backed down onto damaged threads at the bolt end. 1/2" conduit tower.  Like this...

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2050/VCRbody.jpg

1. To the LEDs.
  2. Hot glue, go figure.
  3. Probably. Honestly don't recall.
  4. Back to back LED being fed AC.  The red wire lowered the output.
  5. Just thick enough. (guessing it was 3/4")
  6. Good question. Bad answer. 4 blades. Balanced with a bench top belt sander, resulting in blade lengths from 12 to 14", but it sure was well balanced (really, 0 vibration at any speed).  The bushing can't like it done that way.

You must have missed this amazing ground breaking wonder of modern windology.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/4/25/184337/514

It was a lot of fun.

G-
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:11:45 AM by ghurd »

RogerAS

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 11:29:49 AM »
Ghurd,

Yep, I missed that one. I had Wildblue installed at the end of may. Thought I read back that far.

I wonder if the threaded tube that some lamps have would work as a pivot point to allow downfeed of the power. Same double nut arrangement except for hollow.

I read that thread with interest, thanks.

Try a box fan blade, they're great! The 5 blade rounded end version is my favorite. Krylon now makes a paint for plastics that sticks to these and have to add some measure of UV protection. Besides one can then add some style to the whole affair.

:[    :|    :]    :)     :-)

Yes I said it! :)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:29:49 AM by RogerAS »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 08:30:35 PM »
I like box fan blades too.  They always surprise me on how well they work.

Lately I have been after more area, but a box fan blade seems to end up the 1st thing attached.

If I get some time, then some time at the same time as some wind, I should have some good photos. Forgot the camera last time. A box fan blade on a 1/3HP 3-ph 3600RPM with HD neos, and another one I can't quite explain.  Interesting, or just plain funny.

G-
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:30:35 PM by ghurd »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 11:06:28 AM »
Revision, thanks to my sister.

The blades measure 8.25, 8.5, 9 and 9".

Sure looks worse than that.

Sorry.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 11:06:28 AM by ghurd »