Author Topic: Thanks to all of you who have proven this to work  (Read 856 times)

Spdlmt150

Thanks to all of you who have proven this to work
« on: December 02, 2006, 02:05:03 AM »
First I would like to thank all of you here who have taken the time to design, test, build, and prove workable the smaller turbines. The information gathered here is a wonderful tool. After three days of reading, I think I am almost ready to start building, although I have a couple questions, as well as a request.

Due to my location, I doubt I could get away with putting up a 16 footer. I am limited to a "30 foot maximum height" according to the city's regulations. Therefore, I think if I make a small genny (5 foot rotor dia) and put it on a 20 foot pole (keeping the entire structure safely below the 30 foot limit) I should be able to run a good homebrew RE right across the street from a shopping center - which is a huge open space providing me with a fairly unobstructed breeze. After seeing the pitiful output from my solar panel investment (not knocking the no-moving-parts, no noise, almost zero maintenance, very expensive electricity generation device) now that the grey days of winter are moving in, I see this as the most cost-effective option for boosting my capacity (unless I can figure out the 5hp 15 degree differential stirling generator.)

(yes that was a joke)

Here's my thoughts on the design of the generator:

2500lb trailer spindle & 5 bolt hub (already in hand)

Single magnet disc (not sure yet if it will be a brake disc or a custom turned steel)

Still debating stationary laminate, or spinning disc laminate on backside of stator.

Trying to come up with a way to use .095 PCB for the stator, - not copper etched, but my thought is that if I can figure a way to locate the windings on the PCB & leave them open (aside from a thick coating of high temp black BBQ paint) there will be much less heat retained. Also, if I can keep the windings flat & thin enough to run a VERY tight gap, I should see decent output from this small mill.

Magnets already in hand - 12pcs 1.25 X .5 X .125 NEO's. I know the general rule here is to use the largest mags that can be fit. My hope is that I can make do with these, & I think at 5' I would have a hard time turning larger mags effectively.

One thing I am not completely clear on is the furling methods used. I understand the offset from vertical center creates the yawing force, but as for the hinged tail... If the tail is made rigid, would the surface area of the tail vs. the surface area of the rotor determine yawing? My thought is that a hinged tail would be a possible point of failure. Where this will be located, a hinge freezing & causing a self-destruct is not an option. Freezing is a definite consideration. High wind gusts are also not uncommon. Thinking of building this today I was listening to 60mph gusts howling past the house. If the tail must be hinged, can someone point me to a thorough explanation (drawings always make things clear) of how the hinged tail is setup & what makes it operate. There hasn't been much information I have run across explaining this.

Also, a thought on delta vs. star wiring... & an offer to try to help out with making small mills more efficient for all. If a very small line is added to the windings (5-10 turns, one coil?onephase?all?) to be used as a reference line - Could an automatic star/delta switch circuit be made to use that voltage as a reference for switching between the two configurations without any human intervention? I would be willing to add the line in on my stator if anyone with the knowledge would be willing to help with designing a control circuit to manage the switching. A proofreading afterthought - an addition to this control circuit to shunt the lines at a peak rpm. I don't know if this would fry the stator under this condition, but as long as the windings could manage it, this would be a nice failsafe for slowing things down when all else didn't. As I see it, after all the refinements that have been made by people on this forum, that seems to be one of the largest gains yet to be made.

Any comments or suggestions on this brain dump are welcome.

Thanks to all.

John K.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 02:05:03 AM by (unknown) »

Jerry

Re: dual rotor
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 09:10:48 PM »
Hi John.

Have you discounted the idea of dual rotor. I've not built a single rotor with lamination behind the coils so I'm not femiliur with what kind of drag that your magnets or larger magnets might have.

I have done many motor conversions and would think there would be a simular drag there? I've seen as high as 650 watts from my 49" blades at 30 mph with 1 hp motor conversion with an amp or 2 at 5 to 7 mph cutin.

As far as your magnets size and 5ft blade heres what I got from an 8" dual rotor alt with the same 49" blades. Magnets on the alt are wedge shaped 1/2" X 1" X 1/4". http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/2/9/33333/59657 .

This story stured up some debate about the #s I reported. I just drove the truck and recorded the #s the meters were reading. This genny is now mounted on my store roof and the #s are very very close to the same. I wish some one here could confirm these #s with there own test of this alt.

Anyway I think you have more potential then you think with a 5 FT machine.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:10:48 PM by Jerry »

kurt

• website
Re: Thanks to all of you who have proven this to w
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:56:52 AM »
http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/9/30/175259/555

http://windstuffnow.com/main/turbine_kit.htm

danb has a better drawing someware with all the angles marked on it but dam if i can find it.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:56:52 AM by kurt »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 05:02:08 AM »
No doubt the larger the rotor the more the required torque my 7 .5 saw blade daul rotor needs less than I can measure with a ft/lb torque wrench stator shorted . Mags are small 1.5 x .5x.5 with over lapped stator.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:02:08 AM by tecker »

Spdlmt150

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 06:29:43 PM »
The saw blade idea has passed through my head a few times. Most saw blades transfer magnetic current very well. Have you had any problems with the saw blades flexing? I had thought about using 10-12" saw blades, but my thought was to weld 3 together to keep thins more rigid. My goal is .020" between the mags & coils. After telling myself that this project would stay at home, I am thinking that I could use some of the high dollar cnc equipment at work to see how much I can push from this project. As of now, I am at the point of welding the spindle to an upright mount, and the gen will be the next step.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 06:29:43 PM by Spdlmt150 »

Spdlmt150

Re: Thanks to all of you who have proven this to w
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 06:55:10 PM »
Thanks for clarifying how the furling works. I have spent a year researching this and still hadn't had a clear idea of the mechanics of it. Does drag play a large part in the proper function of this, or would bearings be a benefit? Just a thought I'm toying with.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 06:55:10 PM by Spdlmt150 »