Author Topic: Full floating axle...anyone looked at these?  (Read 1091 times)

ve7khz

Full floating axle...anyone looked at these?
« on: January 28, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »
In my search for axles/stubs to use for my 20 something footer (5KW), still working on the math and design but I'm thinking 22-24" rotors and 20 magnets each like DanB's 20 footer, I went to the wreckers to check out the Ford full floating axles used in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. There were many in various states of disassembly so it was easy to see how they work and how they might be used for the rotor spindle. I made some preliminary measurements and they look promising. Certainly heavy duty. Maybe TOO heavy. How much do the 6 stud trailer stubs/hubs weigh that are currently being used? I haven't been able to find any locally. The truck axle housing is about 3/8" thick steel and the brake backing plate mount would work well for the stator mount plate. The axle itself would not be needed as the bearings are mounted on the housing and the 8 stud rotor ride on these 2 tapered roller bearings. You would just need to make a cover plate to keep the weather out of the bearings. I didn't have my digital camera with me but will get some pics on Monday and post them here. My only concern may be the distance from the backing plate mount to the stator may be too great to use ready-rod. Not sure. I'll have to go over my measurements again.

I would like to hear your thoughts and if anyone has tried this idea. I couldn't find anything in a search on this board.

cheers

Paul

« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 04:55:29 PM by (unknown) »

zapmk

Re: Full floating axle...anyone looked at these?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:04:44 AM »
Have a look at the Nirvana.

http://www.scoraigwind.com/nirvana/index.htm

Iam going to using the same type of hub at the top of the tower to support the wings of my Vawts to be able get the alt closer to the ground.

-Zapmk

« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:04:44 AM by zapmk »

nick1234

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:57:23 PM »
i known the bearings on that truck hub & axles run in oil from the dif.

why do you not use a hub from a car you have a disk hub and cv ,and the bearing is sealed just repack it and your good for another 200,000 miles

nick 1234
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:57:23 PM by nick1234 »

racer

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:45:48 AM »
Paul

I just recieved the hub assembly that I will be playing with. It comes from a full floating race car rearend because the bearings are packed in there own grease and parts are easy to find. If friction is a problem they also make ceramic bearings for most of these units.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 08:45:48 AM by racer »

ve7khz

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:54:41 AM »
Good thought about the lubrication. I imagine that these bearings could be packed just like the front diff bearings. Let me know how your hubs look racer. I'd be interested to see another style.

I had a look at the Nirvana but the pics don't reveal much about the hub or how it attaches to the frame.

thanks guys.

Paul

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 08:54:41 AM by ve7khz »

racer

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 09:25:52 AM »
Paul

Here's a link to the catalog of the hub I bought www.wintersperformance.com/catalogs/2005WintersPerformance/0621024.htm

I bought the front kit 3750-F from them come complete with disc brake rotor (for optional uses like a manual shut down brake) for $165 plus shipping. The only draw back is the need for a custom made mounting shaft if you don't want to buy a axle tube.

These are designed for Dirt Modifieds that we drive up here in the northeast and I know they can take a beating on the race track now to see how they do in the air not attached to a car.

My idea is to build a small 8" alternator and attach the stator to the custom made spindle that I will get made. The wheel stud bolt circle is 10.25" so I should have plenty of room for the spacer between the magnet plates. The blades and support plates will be bolted onto the studs first. I will have to buy the longer studs.

I am designing this to be a 5 blade 8'-10' mill.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:25:52 AM by racer »

racer

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 09:35:03 AM »
Another good sight for seeing what out there for hub designs is www.colemanracing.com/catalog/index.php

just select hubs from drop down list.

I don't know how aluminum would hold up on the big machines but they do have steel grand national an IMCA racing hubs

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:35:03 AM by racer »