Author Topic: Brushless hub motor?  (Read 1035 times)

zergy

Brushless hub motor?
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »
Hi there

Stumbled across these brushless hub motors, http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture97/allen101/product4.html

Could they be used in a small windmill? Just throwing ideas, I haven't got any of those.. ;)

-Z

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:36:02 AM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: Brushless hub motor?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 05:53:54 AM »
Most of them look like they might be usefull. try one and let us know....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 05:53:54 AM by drdongle »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:34:44 AM »
They will be Crazy Expensive and not very powerful.

And the minimum order is a 20' container.

Search the board for 'ECM'.

G-

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 07:34:44 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

windstuffnow

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 08:31:57 AM »
  I've tried them, they have quite a bit of metal drag ( eddy currents ) but work reasonably well in higher winds.  I ended up machining off about .030" from the stator to get a decient start up speed which didn't seem to hurt the performance.  The biggest problem is mounting it, it only has a small hollow shaft to mount it with so it can't handle a very large blades set.  You would need to change the main shaft to a much larger one with just enough of a bore to allow the wires to come through.   There isn't alot of material in the end covers to modify the bearing size so it may take some special bearings to get it all to fit properly.  

Overall it was a fun experience.   I played with the 300 watt unit although I believe they sell a 500 and 1kw.  

Mounting the prop is quite the challenge as well, I used the spoke mounting holes which I'm not real sure is as strong as it should be and would be much better if a special cap could be cast to bolt an assembly directly to it.  The end caps are fairly thin as they are and wouldn't handle the load of a yawing prop for very long.

If your not prepaired to "re-work" the motor then its probably not the best choice.  It's definately not an "off the shelf" conversion.  It would be much easier to work with a standard motor conversion or build your own dual rotor than to use those motors.  

Just an opinion from my experience with them...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:31:57 AM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

zergy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 01:35:46 AM »
Thanks all, think this last post sums it up real nicely. Will keep my eyes open while doing some "trash diving", one newer knows..

Thanks again.

-Z

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 01:35:46 AM by zergy »