Author Topic: Wood for blade construction 10'  (Read 842 times)

hapuna beach

Wood for blade construction 10'
« on: April 26, 2007, 02:09:42 AM »
Hi All,

I've finished the metalwork and assembled my alternator for the popular 10' machine shown on this site (24 magnets, dual rotor, 24v stator, N42 rectangular magnets). I have available "standard" cedar 2x2's that are more like 1 3/8" x 1 3/8", versus 1.5" as listed on this site: ("Here we make blades from standard 2" thick (usually 1.5" after its planed) lumber").

I'd like to take my "2x2's" and glue them up for the proper width for the 10' diameter blades. Is that 1/8" height differece a problem? If not, where is the blade contour most important? Cedar isn't cheap here, so I'd like to use what I have.

Thanks,

Hapuna

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:09:42 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: Wood for blade construction 10'
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:40:28 PM »
hapuna beach,

Without knowing the tree the wood came from, it is difficult, if not impossible, to advise on your wood. However, it the wood is relatively light, straight grained and rot resistant, I would use it.

The outer 1/2 of the rotor will make over 3/4 of the power of the blade set.

For what it is worth, there are no cedars native to the Americas. Many species are called 'Cedar' because of their qualities of weight, odor or both but they are technically not "Cedar". Of the woods called 'Cedar', the density ranges from .28 SG (specific gravity) to over .70 SG. Durability ranges from non-existent to very resistant to rot with little or no relationship between SG and rot resistance.

Ron

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 05:40:28 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

jmk

Re: Wood for blade construction 10'
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 07:32:34 PM »
 You can get your extra thickness by glueing on extra wood at the first section of the blade. ( the root ) You can cut wedges and glue them on too like Hugh shows on his blades. hugh@scoraigwind.co.uk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:32:34 PM by jmk »