Author Topic: current best practices for ecm motors and garbogens?  (Read 1122 times)

bsafe

current best practices for ecm motors and garbogens?
« on: May 06, 2007, 03:53:12 AM »
         I should have bought a lottery ticket as well, I found a 1/2 G.E. ECM motor

and a 1hp garbage disposal motor today. I searched the board for info and (correct me if I am

wrong) the current best method with the 1/2 hp ECM (per Jerry) is to seperate the 18 coils

put rectifiers (what size?) on each coil and parallel to a transformer (what size?).

Can any one walk me through this?  

My understanding of the garbogen current best

practices include (for 24v)hook a 35v 200w bridge rectifyer to the two thicker wires

(the beginning and end of the four run coils)

and one rectifyer to the two thin start coil set wires then parallel to controller or battery.

The rotor should be  solid steel 3" diameter and 2.25" long ( I will use nothingtolose's

arc magnets insted of the #29. It is carried on a shaft of 5/8 or 3/4"

(which is preferred?) how small of a shaft is to small for a 4-5' dia. pvc or Jerry

blade set up? Is the rotor epoxied or welded to the shaft, how do you balance the

rotor? What sort of controllers do you build/use, prefer? Thank you in advance.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:53:12 AM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re:Best practices for ecm motors and garbogens?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 07:33:26 AM »
What is your name, I get uneasy talking to ghosts !!

I use the ECM quite often.

Th ECM motor is not best if you separate the windings, it is best to analyze your needs, distance of the mill to the load, your wind regime, the blades you are using, THEN and ONLY THEN a decision is made to determine what is best, winding wise.

I have been using the ECM and sending the power several hundred feet with low losses via high voltage with transformers at the end to convert as needed, attaining this way a broad operating range.

The 1/2 HP ECM motor is capable of producing around 240 watts.

The 1 HP around 440 -480 watts

Your questions need to be organized for you to attain a clear path to produce a unit that is useful.

It is NOT necessary to place a set of rectifiers to each winding, one may obtain the same results with just a 3 phase set.

I do not comment anything about the garbage motor because the procedure should be done analyzing what you got and what the air "environment" is, as quoted at the beginning of this message.

As reported in this group, some of those experiments were done with Chisel & Hammer, may work, but not at the best efficiency or the best arrangement for optimum results and long life.

Indeed, the wind mill may produce the power, though one needs to look for a logical and mature procedure to attain the best arrangement for a successful long lived wind mill.

Nando

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 07:33:26 AM by Nando »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: current best practices for ecm motors and garb
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 09:40:21 AM »
Something here may help with the 1/2 HP ECM.

And do not change the magnets.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/4/16/42254/0713

G-
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 09:40:21 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

bsafe

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:15:20 PM »
Jerry thank you for the informative post http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/5/9/45956/49696    I am very gratefull for the detailed answers you have provided me and others. As a token of appreciation would you be interested in a 1/2 hp GE ecm with a very sightly bent rotor shaft shipped to you at my expense? Thank you. Bsafe.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:15:20 PM by bsafe »

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »
Yes bsafe, I'll take it. E-mail me and I'll get you my ship to address.

This is a very generus offer, thank you.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:25:06 PM by Jerry »