Author Topic: Pacwind Delta II  (Read 4210 times)

vawtman

Pacwind Delta II
« on: June 14, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »
This turbine is the same diameter has mine and only 2ft higher and claims 10kw rating.

http://www.pacwind.net/#deltaII

The alt is about the same diameter has the one im working on.I think its a axial design though.

Click on "products"

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 05:09:15 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Pacwind Delta II
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 02:28:01 PM »
Like I said in your last posting - I put this back here, although you should've posted it in diaries.  What pacwind is doing is interesting - at least, for a company that's making VAWTS they really do have a product.  I do not for the life of me understand though how they can claim 10KW from a machine that seems to sweep about 80 square feet -in my mind it should be competetive with a 10' diameter HAWT - maybe 1 to 1.5 KW.  I might have some misconceptions about the design though...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:28:01 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 03:18:19 PM »
One more comment - perhaps 10KW is realistic in a very high wind...  (although I expect that if they're getting any output in low winds from that machine it'd burnout in high winds assuming its tied to batteries).  They do not say at what wind speed it's 'rated'  which seems like a big problem.  So is it 'realistic'...  yes, I'm sure that an H Rotor VAWT that size could make that sort of power in some kind of wind ;-).  I wonder how they control the machine in high winds...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 03:18:19 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

vawtman

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 04:53:22 PM »
Hello again Dan

Thats one of the weird parts it keeps saying rectifier and dc volts nothing about batteries or gridtie inverter.Unless i missed something.

Roational speed wise well you know my thoughts on that probably.My little guy maxes out at at 120rpms at 30mph and stays there through 60mph.The big guy is getting 2 more blades i got them built but need to redo the tower and rotor yet.For speed control not sure if itll work. Dont know till ya try sometimes.

The 500 rpm figure they mention doesnt seem feasible to me.May be cause the blades arent curved and following each other.SCARRY

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:53:22 PM by vawtman »

zapmk

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 06:39:40 PM »
Kind of interesting looking, 33.5 inch Alt, brake drum type maybe?

Wings sort of look like Ed's (___ but after looking a little closer looks more like this (-----

Something to ponder I guess.

-Zapmk

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 06:39:40 PM by zapmk »

vawtman

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 07:05:41 PM »
Hi Zap

I think Ed mentioned awhile back that he had a part in the design of these blades.

Your on the right track with the wide rotors for vawts hang in there.I think its an axial design judging by the width.Not sure.

Mark

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 07:05:41 PM by vawtman »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 06:05:53 AM »
 They're pricey but how cares the . The price must have other fixture with it .I'd like to see a 500 rpm test . There is a point where the spiral tops out and wind  hits the vortex and around the unit IE the larged units on thier development trail.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:05:53 AM by tecker »