Author Topic: Has the MotorWind urban-friendly-looking design been discussed here?  (Read 2492 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Hi,

http://www.motorwavegroup.com/new/motorwind/product.html

This looks very interesting for mounting on top of a garden wall, for example.

I am only after ~50W peak and they claim that their system starts up at relatively low speeds of ~2m/s though generates sensible power form maybe double that.

Furthermore, it looks as if this is real product rather than vapourware.

The concept looks neat to me, especially the expandability.

Any experiences, opinions, etc?

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 10:48:21 PM by (unknown) »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Has the MotorWind urban-friendly-looking desig
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 04:56:42 PM »
Another piece on the same product:

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Hong-Kong-Micro-Wind-Turbine-Arrays.htm

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 04:56:42 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

feral air

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 12:47:20 AM »
I think you might be able to get similar output with a radiator fan and motor if you flip the blades around. I've never tried it but if there's a junkyard anywhere around it might be worth going on a field trip.

If it doesn't work you should be able to find a use for the motor anyway. Maybe you could make up a set of pvc blades for it or...if nothing else, it's a low-power DC fan.

I wouldn't bother with the MotorWind though.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:47:20 AM by feral air »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:12:34 AM »
Looks like you would need some kinda electric wind tracker with a wall of fanblades like that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:12:34 AM by wooferhound »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 03:39:01 AM »
What do you mean? To rotate the whole thing?

I think it's designed to be fixed to the top of a wall where there is a prevailing wind mainly in one direction.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:39:01 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
MotorWind urban-friendly-looking design
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 06:37:24 AM »
I've, ahem, thrown caution to the wind!

I've ordered myself a small unit to test.  Nice and cheap with USD being low against GBP!

I've ordered it surface mail to save the odd gram of CO2, and I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.  They've been very helpful by email!  (And they've noticed the traffic from here!)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 06:37:24 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 07:20:28 AM »
 Looks like fun way to sneak a few chargers up in a restrictive site.You can DIY a simular unit with a pulse fan .here's a link to a good deal ( all metal and a closeout )

take off the fan (pull the snap ring ) and solder wires to the lugs under the drive coils .

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13357

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 07:20:28 AM by tecker »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
Well, as ever, given my limited DIY skills, I'm hoping that this will look sufficiently good to be taken for a fancy privacy screen and not raise any hackles!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 07:30:00 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

feral air

Re: MotorWind urban-friendly-looking design
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 10:00:58 AM »
$150 is a lot for just a few watts here and there. I really hope it works out better than I think it will...it'll be interesting to see anyway.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:00:58 AM by feral air »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: MotorWind urban-friendly-looking design
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 10:49:30 AM »
Hi,

But MotorWind does fill a gap in the market if a few Watts here and there (lets say a few tens of Watt-hours per day) is all that is needed, such as for lighting.

For example, my home study has been solar-PV-only since July, but that gets horribly expensive in PV in mid-winter (or I will have to revert to mains power a lot), but a few wind Watts per hour on average most of mid-winter would cover my lighting needs when solar doesn't.

The guy who's designed this has as his primary target rural villages in the undeveloped world.  A little cheap solar and a cheap little wind of this sort of size is plenty.  A ten-hut village might benefit from light to study by in the evenings, or in the street, or even the power for the fabled $100 laptop, and they do not need an expensive 1kW turbine that needs high winds to generate anything at all.

A side benefit is that the low-speed low-cost system he has designed should be suitable for urban windspeeds too.  Those of us whose zoning/planning laws would otherwise prohibit any other wind power can gather some RE this way for low-power loads, such as lighting.

Listen to his radio interview, I thought he came across as pretty sane amongst the driven entrepreneurs that I have experience of.  He may not be right or even rich (I don't know), but his motives and technology are sound at first blush.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/Radio/Free_Energy_Now/recordings/2007/070505_MotorWind_LucienG
ambarota.mp3

Try not to gag on the intro!  B^>

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:49:30 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

CmeBREW

Re: Has the MotorWind urban-friendly-
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 01:00:44 PM »
You bring out some good points Damon. This very Hong Kong micro-wind array was discussed here in the group about a year ago or so. I can't find it though. I think everyone was quite skeptical since it looks more like a toy or something from a cereal box. But it is clear that this guy is getting ALOT of publicity (CNN) and so it has to be producing SOME little watts. Certainly,in many places on this earth, people would very much appreciate having even ONE direct 12v hook-up efficiency light bulb and a radio to listen to. Sometimes, we all take so many things for granted! My current system isn't much bigger! We're all use to dicussing BIG WATTS here on the group. I think its a good invention for certain restricted situations like many places on this earth and what you mentioned.

The little torque from each of those keeps adding up in series more and more. I would think the last 2 or 3 could wear out after so long since they are plastic teeth. But if a replacement plastic wheel (fan) is not that expensive, then it shouldn't matter. I hope those fans are at least 12" diameter though. I couldn't find out much info. from the website. Love that Music though. Like to have that CD! Very peaceful.  

Please tell us how it goes. Some of us might get a new idea to connect some small Vawts in series or something! Who knows!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:00:44 PM by CmeBREW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: MotorWind
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 01:21:09 PM »
Hi,

I think the diameter is 25cm/10" and he gives the life-expectancy of the plastic turbine component as 3 to 4 years.  The plastic can then be (re)recycled at that point.

Yes, adjacent contra-rotating interconnected VAWTs might well be a good idea, since there are almost certainly significant interactions between adjacent ones which might be beneficial, eg in providing a more solid wall against the wind.  And he was claiming that his turbine pieces are 1/10th the cost of a generator, which is why he'd ganged them up in this way.

I have asked for mine to be sent by sea, and it should be here in ~5 weeks.  I'll keep everyone posted.  (I even had a choice of turbine colours, but have gone for boring white!)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:21:09 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

CmeBREW

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 03:23:19 PM »
I look forward to hearing about it.  This all gives me an intriging idea of having a  row of small Vawts connected in a line accross the peak of one's rooftop. Like you said, the rotation of each Vawt should alternate directions. Sounds very interesting. Doing it that way, could increase the torque of each one. I can see how to do this with chains and sprokets. It would take ALOT of ball bearings though. I was thinking of those simple small diameter "S" Vawt's like the one Ben @ "gotwind.org" recently did out of PVC pipe. One don't have enough torque (as he said), but hook 10 of them up in series across your roof, and I bet it would really Rock n' Roll!  -

Nice thing about those is that they SELF-REGULATE in high winds due to the small diameter of each Vawt.

YOu could put the ONE alternator down hidden in your attic --- and just say those turning 'things' on your roof top are DECORATIONS or are for 'Religious purposes'. There's NO WAY  Lil'govenment would get near that tar-baby!. (Means: Dog that has fallen into a tar pit, and needs cleaned up! /Nightmare senerio!)  

I am seriously beginning to like this idea!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:23:19 PM by CmeBREW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 03:27:20 PM »
Having contra-rotating VAWTs would mean that you could simply have meshing cog teeth...  No belts, braces, or whatever...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:27:20 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 03:30:08 PM »
BTW, as to religious purposes, have you seen these:

http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/places-and-sights/China-Hebei-province-Chengde-temple-Tibetan-white-
building-red-shuttered-windows-interesting-towers-on-top-tweaked-XSL.jpg

Maybe 'spirit-driven prayer wheels'...

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:30:08 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

CmeBREW

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 04:50:07 PM »
That sounds good! Exactly what I was eluding to!.  But your link don't work for me for some reason??. I would like to see that.

"contra-rotating VAWTs would mean that you could simply have meshing cog teeth...  No belts, braces, or whatever..."        

I've never heard of that...

What do you mean by "meshing cog teeth"???.  A bunch of chains and sprokets might make somewhat expensive and could make a small rumbling noise.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:50:07 PM by CmeBREW »

CmeBREW

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »
Of course I know what "meshing cog teeth" are from steel gears, but not sure what you have in mind.  I might go to a bicicle shop and 'strike up a deal' with getting some old spockets. If the chain was 'fairly snug' it should be pretty quiet I would think. I would think it would last for many years if kept greased up.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 05:08:37 PM by CmeBREW »

veewee77

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 10:46:03 PM »
Is that a bunch of blades all connected to one generator or does each "fan" have it's own generator and those are wired together?

Doug

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 10:46:03 PM by veewee77 »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 01:19:24 AM »
Must try not to:

1) Trigger my own anti-hotlinking devices, try instead: http://gallery.hd.org/_c/places-and-sights/China-Hebei-province-Chengde-temple-Tibetan-white-buildin
g-red-shuttered-windows-interesting-towers-on-top-tweaked-XSL.jpg.html

1. Answer my own posts too many times: other people need to get a word in edgeways...
  2. Trigger this board's anti-SPAM defences!  %-#

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:19:24 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 01:30:55 AM »
Up to 20+ fans together drive one generator: I've ordered a set of 8 fans driving one generator.

The gen costs >10x each fan, thus the arrangement.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:30:55 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 06:45:34 AM »
Damon;

#2&3 are fairly easy ones. Just let things stew awhile and gather some comments, then answer any questions in one comment.

Sorry about the anti spam stuff but every spam post takes about 6 clicks thru pages to kill so if its set to 10 a day and we get spam bots posting til they get blocked I get to click thru 60 pages to clean it up. I tried to get a waiting period instituted between signup and ability to post as well as one of those non machine readable letter and number graphics you need to translate to text as protection methods. Problem is I cannot do anything like that and the true board "admin" either can't or won't.

Bottom line is, I guess, the users suffer because spammers are jerks and nobody who can do anything either cares or will take action. Partly my fault because I am not going to do all the extra work to filter spam if it is dumped in large numbers due to loose posting limits and no bar to membership or quiet period after sign up. Frankly, it has been one of my pet peeves here awhile, just ahead of know it alls and BS artists.

I "think" the post throttle is set at "8" now so that should be loose enough for reasonable legitimate use. You could get caught by posting multiples too fast [looks like a spambot] but all that requires is you sit on your hands awhile.

It is a balancing act and not exactly obvious what is best.

OK thats my pre coffee rant for today.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 06:45:34 AM by TomW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 08:24:04 AM »
Not complaining about the anti-SPAM measures at all, though I had to post my item the following morning!  One board that I am associated with will not let anyone in to post without human approval almost amounting to an 'interview'.  And I get 10,000+ SPAM email delivery attempts per day (when I last counted) eating into my RE supply...  So don't read in any complaint to my post at all except about my own fumble-fingered incompetence.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:24:04 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 08:47:43 AM »
Damon;

So don't read in any complaint to my post at all except about my own fumble-fingered incompetence.

I didn't.

Just was a heads up on why it is the way it is that went astray.

One board that I am associated with will not let anyone in to post without human approval almost amounting to an 'interview'.

Sounds like a good policy to me. I bet they never get much garbage from the spambots.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:47:43 AM by TomW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 09:20:16 AM »
None at all that I've seen.  Reduces the number of new members too, of course, which is an indirect penalty of the marketers^Wscum^WSPAMers, but in some ways it helps keep the place civilised...

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:20:16 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

CmeBREW

Re: Has the MotorWind
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »
Thanks for the picture Damon, that was very funny. I saved it.  Exactly what I had in mind!.

So are you going to hook your OWN Ametek generator up to this 'micro-wind array', or do they INCLUDE a small generator with the array of blades??

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:45:26 PM by CmeBREW »

feral air

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 10:16:49 PM »
I wouldn't try to connect more than 4 vawts together at a time. Not all the vawts will catch the same amount of wind and you could end up having 2 vawts powering 8 others some of the time...and every other combination. The more you have in series, the more potential loss there is.

If you could design it so that 2-4 vawts powered a smaller surplus motor then you'd really have something. Lets say you hook 2 up to make a set. If one set failed for some reason you'd have 4 other sets still producing. If you had all 10 vawts connected in series, any failure is basically a total system failure...and no power for a while.

..just my thoughts on it, of course.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:16:49 PM by feral air »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Has the MotorWind
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 01:37:31 AM »
I'm very much hoping that there is a generator in the package on the way to me.

Actually, they were a bit secretive about it (I just wanted to know if I needed to step it up or anything), so that's all part of the the mystery of this early Christmas toy^W^W^Wexperiment...

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:37:31 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Jedon

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 04:39:43 PM »
Any update on this? A friend sent me the link since I'm going off-grid in a few months.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:39:43 PM by Jedon »