Author Topic: Solidworks 3D model of prop  (Read 25550 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Too much Solidworks not enough MATH
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »
Thats true Fin,

To simplify this, could it be said, that the blade profile with the best laminar flow Characteristics, will be most efficient. Even at slow speeds turbulence does occur. Like the area behind a semi truck traveling at highway speeds.

JW

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:57:51 PM by JW »

finnsawyer

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2008, 08:26:13 AM »
It should really be the profile that gives the best laminar flow when used in an actual wind turbine.  In an operating turbine the air is channeled to a certain extent between two blades.  This will tend to smooth the flow.  The problem is that the air flow has an out.  It can flow radially, that "flinging" effect of Mr. Jacobs.  And indeed, the pressure distribution will act to encourage such a behavior.  When you change the direction of the air, it can be undesirable, as it may require increasing the power of the flowing air.  That robs potential output power.

If you impose the conditions discussed in my Diary by placing a ring around the rotor to break up the radial flow, then new constraints emerge.  I haven't discussed any of that because basically I've seen no interest on the part of anyone to look at the situation critically.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:26:13 AM by finnsawyer »

finnsawyer

Re: Solidworks 3D model of prop
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »
Actually, it's the left hand term as whole that also has the Vi^3 behavior.  Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:28:44 AM by finnsawyer »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2008, 07:08:34 PM »
Hi Fin,

Sorry it took so long to get back to this.

Quite Honestly, this is my favorite 'story' authered by you.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/3/8/112629/2229 fin

Anyhow heres a link to the diary of your that I figure your talkin about.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/12/5/16183/1323 #16 diary

I especially like comment #16.

Ya I think your right, I should have described a profile vs. carictoristics (sp?). I have been thinking about that all day at work.

Actually I agree with TomW theres been alot of static on the board lately. Lets face it there are like 1200 knowledgeable users, out of the 12,000 registered members. As always I suppose its Cave-eat Emptor.  :)

Thanks for the reply Fin, keep doing what your doing.

See its nice and quiet back here :)

Jw

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:08:34 PM by JW »