Author Topic: DIY Wind Generator Monitor/Controller  (Read 8074 times)

shasse

DIY Wind Generator Monitor/Controller
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:30:52 AM »
Hi all,

About two years ago I ordered the plans for and began working on a Hugh Piggot 8' wind generator.  The experience has been great and as I move toward actually flying the generator, I have been giving some thoughts to monitoring and load control.

Independently, I have begun some hobby work using the open source Arduino micro controller prototyping platform (http://www.arduino.cc/).

I am thinking of combining those two interests and creating a wind generator monitor/controller.  Basically, I would use the analog inputs (8 total) and digital I/Os on the Arduino (14 total) to monitor the wind generator and weather conditions, and control load.  My initial plans are to monitor:

• Generator RPM
  • Anemometer RPM (wind speed)
  • Tail furling angle
  • Generator voltage output

It might also be possible (but more expensive sensor-wise) to to monitor:

• Wind direction
  • Generator current output
  • Diode temperature
  • Generator vibration
  • Generator noise

The device would be standalone, designed for off-grid use, and include a small LCD for real-time data output.  Long-term monitoring would log data to a removable SD card or something similar.  The Arduino includes 512 bytes of eeprom for storing preferences.  The device would logically have three modes:

1. A basic logging weather station for initial site analysis, etc.
  2. A wind generator monitor for determining optimal generator performance characteristics, such as appropriate loads for given wind speeds furling tail optimization.
  3. An intelligent wind generator load controller.  Given the number of I/O pins, it would probably be possible to control 6 or more loads (I think way more than necessary for the generator I have built).

Total project cost (without the more expensive sensors) should be roughly $150.

Before I go to far with this, I am wondering if people have thoughts or advice with respect to this project.  I have not used an actual wind generator controller before and so do not really have a sense for what is usual or useful.

I general, I have very much appreciated Hugh's "bullet proof" approach which trades off optimal output for reliability, and I realize a (relatively more complex) device like this somewhat goes against that ethos.  However, to me this seems like an interesting and fun project, if it would end up being useful.  I would open source the design and code.

Thanks much for the input,

Scott

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:30:52 AM by (unknown) »

gizmo

• The Back Shed
Re: DIY Wind Generator Monitor/Controller
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:28:54 AM »
Since you've already shown an interest in using a microcontroller, the following projects from my site are based on the PicAxe chips and might give you some idea's for your own design.

A charge controller with LCD display, menu driven settings.

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/charger1.asp

A logger for recording RPM, windspeed, volts, amps, watts and watt hours.

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/PicLog.asp

A wind speed logger with memory, over 90 days of recording possible.

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/articles/GillsDataLogger.asp

Glenn

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:28:54 AM by gizmo »

shasse

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »
Very interesting, thanks much.  I like what you've done with the current sensing, both in the charge controller and logger.  There is a lot there that will be very helpful to me.

Thanks again,

Scott

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:57:35 PM by shasse »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
having never used a windgen controller before might be to your advantage, especially

if you oo some good hard thinking and incorporate what is needed, rather than what is offered by other controllers.

do you have any contact info, email?

bob g

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:00:50 AM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

shasse

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »
I can be reached at (my username for this site) at "compcc.com".

Thanks,

Scott

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:17:57 PM by shasse »