Author Topic: Safety and siting for 1/2 acre lot  (Read 997 times)

Vermonter

Safety and siting for 1/2 acre lot
« on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »
I'm looking at a 1/2 acre lot near town. I really like the idea of living in town so I can walk everywhere or easily ride my bike(s). Affordable in-town lots without existing buildings are very rare here, and it's even more rare to find one that the zoning district would allow chickens.

It has good southern exposure, but I'd also like to do some wind. Maximum structure height is 35ft. I know it's not the best, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get a variance to go higher. There's some trees in the area, but I figure some output is better than nothing. I'm thinking of a self-built 10ft turbine.

I've read some info on here about wind turbines and got the impression that putting a wind turbine near your house isn't that good of an idea. Not just for possible noise, but for safety. I don't want the machine or parts of it falling on anyone.

Does anyone have any feedback?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:54:32 PM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Safety and siting for 1/2 acre lot
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:22:51 PM »
Well living out in the country like I do makes putting up a wind turbine easier.  There was the day last year when I called the municipal office to request a permit.  I had all my data collected together, I'd thought through the important things to say, I'd even notified of all of my neighbours (distant though they are) to make sure nobody would have a problem with it.  Then the lady at the municipal office simply said "we currently don't have a regulation for windmills, so just go ahead".  She must have thought I had hung up when my jaw dropped on the table.

Anyway, it's not that easy for everyone, and starting with a 1/2 acre lot, your choices are still limited.  As you learn about the rules, also find out if you can apply for a "variance".  It may not cost much.  I needed a variance long ago to put a shed on the edge of my property, but it only cost about 120$, so what the heck.  Getting that variance may be affected by the type of turbine you put up there.  A home-brewed type is probably on the bottom of the list of choices.

You wouldn't be the first guy to have a turbine blow apart and shed bits through the roof of his house.  A half-acre lot is large enough that you can space it apart from the house - but that isn't the point, is it?  If you want power from the turbine to feed the house, then that fixes the distance between them, not the surrounding space on the property.  The surrounding property offers protection to the neighbours.  The farther they are, the less likely there will be an incident.

Your reference to the south-facing house makes me think you are also considering a solar panel installation.  Getting those installed and inspected can also provoke regulatory issues (reflections at the neighbours, structural loads etc.) so putting the panels on will be a good "dress rehearsal".  It will help prepare for the command performance of cranking a 60-foot pole in the air.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:22:51 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:51:50 PM »
Baffle them with BS?

UK has some kind of rule about small areas.  Maybe an accepted UK rule will help get a variance.  Legal Presidence sort of idea.

IIRC, it came down to the tower height + 1/2 blade dia = distance from the property line.  Meaning if the tower went down, the blades could just touch the property line.

I do not recall the rule being at all related to total acres.

The BS part.  Surely the UK figured out everything that needed figured out before passing such a well thought out regulation.

That rule would not make much sense here with our toothpick shaped lots.

My neighbor on my west could easily throw a blade past 3 neighbors on his east.  Hard to explain but true.

Keep it as safe as possible, and a little bit more.

G-

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:51:50 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Todd a

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
Check the local zoning a bit closer (or just e-mail the city council until you get to the right place).  Where I live they have a restriction for wind turbines to 5 feet diameter.  This basically restricted me to a VAWT.  The other issues were that the tower had to be behind your house and the tower height (including turbine) could not be taller than the nearest property line.  This makes it so if the tower ever falls it will only fall in your property.  You might be able to go higher if the local laws are favoring renewable resources(most are leaning this way).  The only problem is you might need to put a safety light on top, which would draw quite a bit of power (think of a 200w bulb up there running all night).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:34:02 PM by Todd a »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:40:40 AM »
Work with an out building ,oriented to redirect the prevailing winds . That keeps you  ahead of the politics .  Start with a data recorder . Or just  make a large wind vein and amomometer .
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 05:40:40 AM by tecker »

Vermonter

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 12:51:27 PM »
Regarding solar, the local zoning laws are actually being changed to allow for solar panels to be installed WITHOUT A PERMIT and even within the setback zone at the edge of the property! There's even rules about not interfering with neighbors access to solar.

Wind turbines still face a bit of resistance, but things are getting better.

As I've been mapping things out, I realized that guy-wires might be a problem. Do I need 4, or could I get away with 3? The 3 would work much better. I guess I could always come up with the extra cash for a monopole, but it's a few thousand I'd rather spend on other things.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:51:27 PM by Vermonter »

Kevortex

Trees kill
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Trees falling kill more people than wind generators flying apart do.

Trees fall on houses and destroy them every day.

Shall we cut down all trees?

Put your tower where ever you want to.

Kevortex

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:55:00 PM by Kevortex »

spinningmagnets

Re: Trees kill
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »
I also hate being oppressed by "the man", but I believe the issue you should be most concerned about is insurance liability.

If wind blows down a tree and crushes a person, most insurance companies consider it an "act of God".

If you put up a flimsy wind-gen that flops over on a visitor, or a blade flies off to go through your neighbors window...will his wife sue?

I have removed many safety covers from tools and I have the scars to prove it, so I also say do what you want.

But,...I have never sued anyone.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:21:07 PM by spinningmagnets »