Author Topic: Controlling the machine  (Read 5343 times)

spinningmagnets

Re: Controlling the machine
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »
Yyrkoon, I can't have a wind-gen where I'm at, I hope to have two when I retire and move. I had thought about furling construction methods that don't require a welder, but recently bought a very good welder (used ten times, my work looks like bird droppings, but improving).

Now that I will have welding capability, I will pursue the reliable side-furling that is so popular. But in case you're interested:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/12/10/02517/742

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/7/25/173638/133

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/9/12/2175/13880

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/7/3/35813/96007

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/7/5/15554/49158

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/1/16/4423/47437

Tilt-up/tilt-back/vertical furl

(I couldn't Google-find the German guy with the good pics of his tilt-back furling wind-gen on a trailer, anyone save that?)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:09:53 AM by spinningmagnets »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:51:38 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »
Thanks spinning magnets and Ghurd for taking the time to find those threads, they were very interesting.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 01:54:18 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 02:26:27 PM »
Ja! ja, danke schoen, Ghurd !

(pronounce with a Wayne Newton accent)

"People who care about laws, and like sausages, should not be allowed to see how either is made" -Kaiser Wilhelm

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 02:26:27 PM by spinningmagnets »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »
The 'you are thinking dang slow' part could easily be taken as hostile.

I've been here four years & not having my true name & initial being a substitute for a cuss word blah blah blah...Towards being eloquent, try these...

darn (ˈdärn) adjective/adverb; euphemism; circa 1600: Variant(s): durn (ˈdərn); ie: darned (ˈdärn(d)); durned (ˈdərn(d))

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 04:59:42 PM by DanG »

Yyrkoon

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
Accepted . . .
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:03:36 PM by Yyrkoon »

Yyrkoon

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 05:43:02 PM »
Flux,

I understand your concerns, and what you're saying is not falling on deaf ears. However, my buddy being an Electronics Engineer for over 30 years now, and also being a very capable electrician, I have been bouncing some ideas at him, and he has been replying back with what he knows(which may be more in some respects, but less in other areas compared to someone who knows this sort of thing). I hope at least with as many questions that I am posing on these forums, that you, and others know I am not the type that is just going to take an arbitrary statement, out of context, or otherwise jump head first into things. I am just bouncing ideas around, and I do realize that I may not have been the first to ask(but I am searching these forums the best I can).

What I had though about a lot since my first post is that we(here) could save a lot of money on cabling if we could use standard 110v/220v ac cabling(maybe even higher voltage cabling if needed some day). Then somewhere around the storage room we step down via a transformer, after which perhaps a MPPT/buck controller before rectifying. Maybe this will work, maybe it will not, but my hopes are that this will work to our advantage. If it does not work, well then I have no other choice. Maybe even the number of coils, and poles(magnets) at some point over 48v cost wise will just not make sense.

Right now, we already have a working PV system, and my buddy is working on his 2nd controller(which is something that we may go commercial with; me being the hobbyist programmer), but after learning about MPPTs, I may yet convince him into designing yet another(3rd) controller. This is for solar only so far. Now, since we are in an area that can have good winds, especially when it is cloudy(like right now as I type with winds roughly 15-20mph), we are getting zero charge from our array. With only ~1200ah of storage right now(yes, we bought a couple of batteries recently), and a possible couple more days of no sun , I have become very motivated to harvest some wind power. Eventually, if it makes sense to have a wind farm here of some sort, that is where the savings in cabling is really going to come in.

Eventually, we hope to have enough power storage, and generation through 3 or more means(hydrogen anyone ?!) Being completely off grid may not be fun all the time, but with time and patience we hope to at least lessen the effects, if not completely do away with them. Running a 30Kw generator that sucks down 2 gals of diesel every hour can get pretty expencive . . . at least with solar/wind/ maybe hydrogen, we get to pay these costs up front, learn a thing or two, and have fun in the process. :)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:43:02 PM by Yyrkoon »

vawtman

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »
Yrkoon,

You seem to be teasing and throwing out thoughts.Read up and build the darn thing the best you can and tinker from there.ITS FUN

Just my opinion

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:55:14 PM by vawtman »

Yyrkoon

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2008, 06:07:42 PM »
Vawtman, opinions are like . . . hahah, sorry . . .Hi!

Yeah I might even have had the darned thing built by now if I had the time, and money. Also, I am the type that tries very hard to get things clear in my mind before actually spending money to begin with. Trust me when I say I will have something flying as soon as possible. Seeing all this wind rip through here with no way for me to store that energy is making me sad :(

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:07:42 PM by Yyrkoon »

vawtman

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2008, 07:04:59 PM »
Thats kinda what i mean :)Time and money is a likely excuse but dedication is the hard part.I've been through many lulls.My wife still loves me:v)why i don't know.

You can get there and have fun at the same time.

Have fun with your forthcomming projects.If your dedicated enough time and money will be a motivator for you.

Or just me thinks that:0

Mark

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:04:59 PM by vawtman »

Yyrkoon

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2008, 08:03:44 PM »
There is not hidden meaning in what I said above. I tend to say what I mean, and mean what I say :)

Unless you think spending 12-14 hours a day framing, wiring, drywalling, insulating  the insides of a 80'x100' two story building not expencive/time consuming enough ?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:03:44 PM by Yyrkoon »